Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was recent discussion on the crabbing board as to the allocation of the the Bay's resources. Many people there did not want political discussion. I vowed to keep it here, where it belongs.

With that being said, here is a quote from Capt. Mike Anderson,

[q]Look Guys

Here's my point and it has been the same since day one on this website.

It doesn't matter whether it's crabs, oysters or fish, you can't be a conservationist and advocate stopping commercial harvesting and in the next breathe talk about the fish you are catching. You can't block your neighbors down the road, who buy their crabs or fish from a market, because they don't have time or can't afford to catch their own, yet continue to catch your bushel of crabs or a few fish.

Want to stop commercial fishing in the bay? Fine. Then advocate a complete moratorium on all types of fishing, including recreational. Otherwise you present yourself to the general public as greedy. Wonder why the General Assembly leans toward the commercial fisherman? They have to also answer to the neighbor who buys the seafood.
[/q]

Capt Mike, I understand your view point. Put yourself in these shoes for a moment. My neighbor wants to buy some Goose meat. The species is on the rebound, how come I can't buy it? Do you advocate a Commercial Goose harvest?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What it all comes down to is that recreational fisherman in the large sense are do not feel themselves a user group that needs or wants representation. The economic benefit of recreational fishing is far larger than that of commercial. But commercial has a history and a market distribution. We continue to fight amongst ourselves when we should be asking for our government to be better stewards of OUR resource and work to ensure there is a place for both, not the exclusion of either.

409 Posts
[Q]scotty80 originally wrote:
My apologies to board members who thought this would be a constructive post.
[/Q]

Hey don't apologize.
If you want to discuss who should and who should not be entitled to fish from the Chesapeake Bay. I'll discuss it with you.

If you want to talk about who should be entitled to geese then discuss it with a farmer or poultry people.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Personally I am in favor of an open season on geese. They are nasty and are breeding out of control.

I know that's not the point. My view is we are long past the age when we can assume that our resources are limitless, well never run out of fish, oil, wood, clean air etc. No free lunches. You want to sell the state's resources? You need to pay for them and get the market to pay you what it costs to get it for them.

The VMRC's role needs to change from a state subsidized seafood marketing association to a conservation department. And the first thing they need to get their head around is how much pressure the any stock can stand. Then they have some basis to regulate its harvest. Specifically they need to have a moratorium on oysters, period. They don't need no stinkin' science to figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[Q]Capt. Mike Anderson originally wrote:
[Q]scotty80 originally wrote:
My apologies to board members who thought this would be a constructive post.
[/Q]

Hey don't apologize.
If you want to discuss who should and who should not be entitled to fish from the Chesapeake Bay. I'll discuss it with you.

If you want to talk about who should be entitled to geese then discuss it with a farmer or poultry people.

[/Q]Cute, very cute. On second thought, I'll pass on the discussion. I doubt anything objective would come of it. Your history of half truths says it all...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
1,107 Posts
As a recreational fisherman I can throw back what I catch as a hunter if I shoot a buffalo or goose I can't bring it back to life. As a commercial fisherman I am not going to throw back what I can sell if I caught it legally.
try comparing apples to apples

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I couldn't find the thread on the crabbing board, but it sounds like the argument was sport vs commercial harvest, whatever the species, not conservation? Man started hunting and fishing for sustainance. Then it became a commercial enterprise. Then became a recreational pursuit. But just as rec fishing is a choice, not a right, so is coomercial fishing and the choice to eat fish over other types of readily available protien.

I tend to agree that gamefish status as a conservation tool is a dodge. It's more honest to say there are more people rec fishing, more jobs provided, and more taxes paid to the state by rec fishing than commercial fishing and the resource management needs to be weighted accordingly for both the user groups.

409 Posts
[Q]Sea Gristle originally wrote:
I couldn't find the thread on the crabbing board, but it sounds like the argument was sport vs commercial harvest, whatever the species, not conservation? Man started hunting and fishing for sustainance. Then it became a commercial enterprise. Then became a recreational pursuit. But just as rec fishing is a choice, not a right, so is coomercial fishing and the choice to eat fish over other types of readily available protien.

I tend to agree that gamefish status as a conservation tool is a dodge. It's more honest to say there are more people rec fishing, more jobs provided, and more taxes paid to the state by rec fishing than commercial fishing and the resource management needs to be weighted accordingly for both the user groups.
[/Q]

Does that also mean that the rec fisherman who spends more money then his fellow fisherman should have more say in the user group? There is a user group that do not fish, but eat fish and comprise 90% of the population. Should they be excluded or have less say because they don't fish as a hobby?

·
Registered
9 Posts
[Q]manfromva originally wrote:
As a recreational fisherman I can throw back what I catch as a hunter if I shoot a buffalo or goose I can't bring it back to life. As a commercial fisherman I am not going to throw back what I can sell if I caught it legally.
try comparing apples to apples[/Q]

That's not exactly right....... problem is not everythig we throw back lives. I thought that with rockfish, for example, that the total amount of rock killed by sport fishing catch and release mortality exceeds the total harvest by commercial fishermen?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
[Q]Capt. Mike Anderson originally wrote:

Does that also mean that the rec fisherman who spends more money then his fellow fisherman should have more say in the user group?

No. It should be managed for the group not the individual.

There is a user group that do not fish, but eat fish and comprise 90% of the population. Should they be excluded or have less say because they don't fish as a hobby?

No. They are represented by the commercial sector. They vote with their pocketbook. I would be interested in seeing how much fish is actually bought &consumed vs how much is caught. I doubt it is 90% of the population.

Again I feel like I came in the middle of this argument, didn't see the earlier thread, but I guess from the tone of your question it was about outlawing commercial fishing?

[/Q]

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC; http://www.asmfc.org/) Striped Bass Technical Committee estimated that 1.3 million striped bass were lost due to recreational hook and line release mortality in 2000, more than the number landed by the commercial fishery that year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts