Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new console for my 1963 17' Whaler. I'd like to store two 13 gallon tanks under it on the deck. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fiberglass or wood console for that boat? Any custom makers in the Annapolis area any more? Prefab is okay too.
Mark

·
Registered
210 Posts
Those consoles are fairly pricy.
I’ve got one, I want 350.00 for it.
Check out http://www.continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
T

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Boater's World suprisingly has a number of consoles that might fit your needs. Around $300. I'd get a catalogue and look at dimensions. Of course, your Whaler probably had a cool wood console before, which you could probably make yourself.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13112353

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the leads, guys. T-bird, do you have pics? I have not installed a console before. How big a deal is that? I don't anticipate loads of difficulty, but sometimes projects like that have unexpected nuances.
Mark

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
'otter,

I got a 17' 1965 whaler. Your biggest issue is gonna be getting the new console to anchor properly. Depending in the condition of you stringers, you'll need to get creative. If the stringers aren't in the best shape one quick fix is to get a small allen wrench and file the short end into a point. After placing console, marking and drilling holes you can create a cavity with the allen wrench. Put the modified wrench into your drill just like any other bit. Place the filed point into pre-drilled hole and then hallow out a cavity under the deck. Fill it with 5200, let it get almost dry and then srcew it down. Don't forget to seal console and screws with 5200 too. If you do a search on Google you can find a few great sites for re-storing older whalers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts