Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can u guys give me some good ways to cook rockfish.the way do it now is with oldbay salt pepper an butter on 350 for 45 mins.just wanna try dif way

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Cook down about a pound of red pepper and vidalia onion. Add butter, lemon and white wine in equual parts. Add rocfkish fillets and simmer for about 20 minutes. When the rockfish is done add a couple tablespoons more butter and some more fresh lemon. Serve over a bed of rice. this is my go to for seabass but works well with rockfish. We now have a board for these posts so this will prolly end up there. Forgot to add salt and pepper the crux of any good recipe. Also a little old bay never hurts as well as a little sprinkle of good parmesean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the best and simplest ways is to coat both sides of the fillet with melted butter, salt & pepper, and then squeeze a whole lemon on it. Broil both sides for 6 to 7 minutes. The lemon/pH does wonders for the fish.

tim

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You could make fish chowder with it. I make it in the Fall usually and everybody loves it!

From the Maryland Seafood Cookbook II:
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans condensed cream of potato soup
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups cooked, flaked fish (flounder, rock, sea trout, etc.)
1 (4 oz can kernel corn, drained
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Dash onion powder
Dash paprika
S & P to taste

Put soup in 3 - qt saucepan; stir in milk.
Add fish, corn, butter, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring until well blended and completely heated. DO NOT BOIL. Makes 8 cups.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I do most of mine on the gas grill on top of tin foil over med heat. Pre heat grill, rub both sides of filets with olive oil, sprinkle both sides with some Old Bay and lemon pepper and cook 7-8 minutes each side depending on thickness. Serve with a wedge of lemon. The recipe mentioned by Russ sounds real good to.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
IMHO

... 350 for 45 mins...
That seems like too long of a cook time to me :confused: , I'd think that it would dry out. But then again, I MUCH PREFER fillets from fish measuring in the low 20s. Steaks from the big CBBT fish were noticeably coarser in texture and were not as good. (Release the hogs!)

I usually coat with a light spray of PAM and some juice of a lemon and broil. Usually up to 10 min depending on the thickness of the fillets.

We just did this one for Superbowl. Soak fillets in milk for a minute and dredge in 1 cup of crushed pistachios and 3 tablespoons of cornmeal. Saute each side 4-5 min on med heat in a lightly oiled pan.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
mine is simple...lay the filet in tin foil. 3 pats of butter on top. with season-all. fold up the foil and put on the grill till done!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is for the grill,

Rockfish fellet, lemonjuice sprinkled on fellets, salt pepper, oysters, salsa, grated cheese on top....

It will make your toungue slap your brain...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I cook the whole fish, no filets here. My wife is Filipino...she gets pretty upset when I catch fish and only bring home filets. Filipino's won't let a scrap of that fish go to waste.

I prepare it by rubbing it down with some of Capt. Smith's fish seasoning (Old bay and a bunch of other spices.). I then squeeze a lemon over each side and then take the whole thing and either smack it straight on the grill or wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill at roughly 350 to 400 degrees for 15 minutes per side. The meat just falls off the bone and tastes great. Prepared like this you can choose to eat the skin or peel the skin away. By the way, going back to the Filipino thing...I never knew the head of a rockfish contained so much meat. It is amazing!

This recipe works just as well for Croaker. I prefer Croaker over Rockfish.

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
This is my favorite way.Fillet the fish and remove the skin.Cut out the dark red meat-try to cut at a VEE so the fillet remains in one piece.Next cut the fillet short ways into 1'' strips-sorta like chicken fingers.Dip the rockfish fingers in milk,roll in breadcrumbs and fry until they float-maybe 3-5 minutes.Damn good and great cold the next day for breakfast or lunch.More work then normal with the knife but worth the extra time. Skip

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I try to keep mine simple. Brush with olive oil, slice up sweet banana peppers (or whatever variety is available), vidallia onions, a pat of butter, old bay, wrap in heavy duty foil and toss on the grill for 15 minutes - depending on thickness of fillets. I use the grill year-round.

Those basket things that clamp the fillet in place work good on the grill too.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sounds like lots of good food-after reading all this, now I'm hungry!

I agree with Skip, cut the dark red meat out and the flavor is much better, also smaller fish are better (Not that I catch enough big ones to have to worry about that!). I use a similar recipe to a lot of you but substitute McCormick Bayou Cajun seasoning for the Old Bay:

Pour melted butter or mixture of margarine and butter in shallow baking pan, sprinkle cajun seasoning on the butter, dredge both sides of fillets in the butter/seasoning mix then sprinkle each side with a little more seasoning to taste. Broil in pan either on a closed grill (300-400 degrees) or in the oven, turn once. Cook about 4 to 6 minutes per side depending upon thickness of the fillets. Fillets are done when the meat is flaky and white.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is my favorite way.Fillet the fish and remove the skin.Cut out the dark red meat-try to cut at a VEE so the fillet remains in one piece.Next cut the fillet short ways into 1'' strips-sorta like chicken fingers.Dip the rockfish fingers in milk,roll in breadcrumbs and fry until they float-maybe 3-5 minutes.Damn good and great cold the next day for breakfast or lunch.More work then normal with the knife but worth the extra time. Skip

Skip
This is almost identical to the way we do them. We throw the fingers in a plastic bag add one egg and shake em around a little. Then add italian bread crumbs (wife is italian) shake again then deep fry. Unfortunately, never had any left for the next morning.
KeithA

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
Fishboy-you would have leftovers if you caught bigger fish.:yes: :clap:
We like to use a 30-33'' fish for this recipe. Skip

·
Registered
123 Posts
family loves it!

Remove all dark red meat , cut fillets onto portions size servings , large skillet , peanut oil,coat fillets in house of autry seasoning and frying them on high until golden brown , not to much to keep the center pink , fish will continue to cook for a few minutes . I can't keep them on the plate . only takes a few minutes .

·
Registered
123 Posts
family loves it!

Remove all dark red meat , cut fillets into portions size servings , large skillet , peanut oil,coat fillets in house of autry seasoning and frying them on high until golden brown , not to much to keep the center pink , fish will continue to cook for a few minutes . I can't keep them on the plate . only takes a few minutes .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts