Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching the cooking channel yesterday and Emeril was cooking what he called skate. Not ray he called it skate and it looked great! Does anyone have any experience cooking skate? With flounder regs the way they are going, who knows we might have to try it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ive eaten cownose ray, it wasnt very good and i like fishy fish like bluefish, it wasnt strong like bluefish but more like croaker. The meat from the wings looks like thin flanksteak, stringy, with the strings alternating white/ dark meat , kind of honeycombed, no way to cut the dark meat out, weird looking, no way to confuse or fool that its scollop. I would try Skate but ive only ever caught Clearnose Skate and even a big one i dont see how you could get any meat out of the wings worth the effort to filet. Mayge this summer if im bored ill filet one to see if there is anything to it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I disagree Getaway, ive heard its against the law to mismarket food products in such a way, but years ago i think it used to be legal and ive heard the same myth of skate and shark both being slipped as scollop.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have worked in food services before and have seen many skate scallops. They still use them today some sharks are used as well. if prepared properly the two side by side are impossible to tell apart. I personally don't care if they use them I just wish the prices would reflect the skates being used. whole sale skate runs about 2$ a pound

1 - 6 of 6 Posts