Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon the advice of this board, I went for a 6hr.(3pm./9pm)guided trip on the Gunpowder River below Pretty Boy Dam.The trip was provided by Backwater Angler and the Guide was Jason,who is also a writer for the Baltimore Sun.It was a hot,muggy day last Thursday,but after the hike down to the river,the cool water and down river air flow,it felt like air conditioning.Sometimes,the river would send a cool fog that would float down the river past you.It's a good hike down to the river and felt soles are needed on the mossy rocks that are a good bit of the pathway.There seemed to be trout just about every where.They were not easy to catch.Fly fishing is new to me and they just don't hold on to a fly like they do to live bait nor do they strike like they do a lure.I landed 1 12in.Brownie,jumped a few more off and wasn't quick enough to set up on some fast spitters.I saw at least 50 trout in the waters.The trail is lined with ferns ,some reaching 5ft.tall.I'm not sure of the species but was told they were decidious.We only saw 2 fishermen in 6 hrs.and that included hiking up river for more than a mile.The one thing that impressed me most was that there was no litter along the way.It's a great way to spend a hot summer day.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thank Captn for bringing back a few memories...I fished that stretch a couple times 8-9 years ago and my impression was the same...pristine and friggin' drop dead gorgeous. Saw one other angler whole day and despite this area having an East Coast rep for superb trout I also remember seeing a number of small carp too [grin] in isolated pools. Did get a few of the salmonids, small ones. Rusty on some of my ferns but yea, they're all deciduous round these parts. Closest thing evergreen and fern-like native in the region that comes to mind are Christmas Ferns.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes other fish make it through the dam.I was told of Bass and Pike or Musky.I believe these fish move down river to warmer climes.As far as Carp go,here's my story.I was walking the shore line of a pond one day looking for Bass.I saw this Carp traveling along the shoreline and decided to cast a Nightcrawler in front of it.It took it and the match began on 6# test with a 10/12lb.Carp.After a lengthy battle I released the fish.It then dawned on me that the stalking,casting & battle was very similar to a bone fishing trip that I recently took at the time in the Fla. Keys."Fresh Water Bones"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts