Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I often hear people say.. "there are no copperheads around here"
Saturday we got off water @ 2pm. Not much later my fishing buddy was walking his Lab along his driveway on North river here in Mathews. The lab started nipping at a small snake. Thinking it was corn snake (?) he pinned it down and when he went to pick it up to throw over into woods, it bit him. Drove to ER right away and spent 24hrs there..
His hand looked like a balloon! Kinda messed up Sundays fishing ;)
Just thought I would share-- I also ran into a pretty aggressive one in a wooded area well hidden in some leaves.

(The lab fishes with us and we have been training her to put fish into cooler, the other day he dropped a osytertoad on floor by accident and it bit the dog .. she didn't much like it )

BTW, he did carry dead body of snake to Hospital and was ID'ed as copperhead

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Had the something happen a few years ago, right on the tip of my right hand pointer. Looked like a black sausage. Was several years before I could get the hang of casting a spinning reel. Hope he heals up soon!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Plenty of them in the middle peninsula. Grass cutter killed one in my flower bed right beside the house two weeks ago near Urbanna and a 38" one killed last week off the Piankatank near Hartfield.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Had one swimming in our community pool this summer. Little guy that would have seriously hurt one of the kids had they started playing with it.

Glad no one was more seriously hurt this weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yea, I saw lots of them around Williamsburg this year. They aren't a problem if you are alert when in the woods. I am careful to look before I put a foot down off a mountain bike.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope he heals up quickly.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
He runs charters, I sure hope it doesn't hurt too many of his trips! ( winds messed up this week anyway)
First thing I thought of was my son hunting and they are really aggressive this time of year.
Posted here because i know many of us fishermen are hunters also..

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dave- did you put a tourniquet on it? The best thing to do is just let it run it's course- unless you have an allergic reaction. When you stop blood flow the digestive juices begin destroying tissue and could cause gangrene. I have been bitten 3 times and speak from experience. I am one of the lucky ones in that each time my reaction is less as my body has built up an immunity to the venom. I hope your son recovers fully, and hopefully he too will develop an immunity...

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
604 Posts
tcannon-no tourniquet was ever applied. We were very fortunate and had a neighbor who is an ER doc that was present at the time of my sons bite. We live a mile from Sentara Beach General and were seen pretty rapidly. We were then transferred (by medical transport) to CHKD for treatment. He spent two nights at CHKD where he was administered anti-venom. Our insurance at the time covered the entire hospital bill including the anti-venom-for the exception of a copay. If my memory serves me correctly the anti-venom cost was 17k at the time. The biggest advice that was given-by my ER doc neighbor-is DO NOT get a fasciotomy. This is a surgical procedure that relieves pressure from swelling. My son has recovered fully and has nothing more than a good story and a slightly distorted pinky finger!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts