Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of friends and family usually rent a beach house in August. Generally, it's somewhere in Nags Head. Close to boat launches at Oregon Inlet and several launches in the sound. Flounder and red fish fishing has been fair to spectacular at times.

This year, due to a death in the family, we did not make our normal plans, and this year the house is way up in Corolla, an hour north of OI. Ugh.

Has anyone fished the sound out of Corolla? I take it there is no ocean access besides Oregon Inlet?

Feeling a little bummed already, but hopefully I'll hear a lot of great reports from there, and that it's swarming with trout and reds.

But be honest...

Thanks.

-TH

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
More like bass and catfish. I believe that would be brackish water. Never went that far down but did fish near Corova when I was a kid. Back then that was large mouth territory.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Corolla is a whole different place then OI. the beach is flat & featureless mostly small fish, croaker, mullet, spot, occasionally a Pompano... the sound side is very very shallow in most areas Lots of large mouth bass, more blue cats than you could count. You said be honest so i will include this, those brackish water cats taste like sh#t! Corolla is the destination if you want that beach experience and are not concerned with catching lots of eating fish. Still the beach, still the summer, way way better than working

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try the beach fishing. Not a lot of big fish, but should be a lot of fish. Fish in the early morning go back and enjoy breakfast. Enjoy the day and fish in the evening again. Spot should show about that time, croaker will be there along with pompano and an occasional flounder. Some of them will be big enough for dinner but most will be just fun pulling on 6' rods. Fish just beyond the breakers to catch a lot of fish. Most people cast to far to catch most of the fish. I'm in avon this week and it's been to rough to go offshore in a25' boat so I've caught fish at the beach and fished offshore 1 day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts