Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to the OBX for the family vacation next week and am gonna bring my Yak along. I've done a number of searches here and elsewhere and don't see much about the fishing this time of year....seems like small stuff in the surf and schoolies around OI might be the best bet. Any ideas on where to go in the yak? I'll be alone most days unless someone wades nearby. Gonna take the fly rod for the small stuff but wouldn't mind trying a shark or cobia outside the surf if it sounds feasible.

Thanks,

-Dave

· Registered
580 Posts
Up in Corolla you probably won't have much luck. If you want to go down to Oregon Inlet, that's a different story. There isn't much in the surf this time of year. I would try for some trout in the sound. Deep holes hold grey trout and grass beds hold the specks. There are also cobia and a bunch of other stuff in there. I am not an expert on the area so you may want to pop in to a local tackle shop for some advice. I spent a week on Hatteras Island last year and did well on specks in the sound around Buxton. You don't need to go that far south, it's probably an hour or so from Corolla to OI anyway.

Good luck.

· Registered
580 Posts
Hey, also Red Drum Tackle and Frisco Rod & Gun both have message boards. Not alot of traffic but you can find out something about what's going on there. Frisco Rod & Gun is where I went and the people there were very nice and helpful. They are almost at the southern end of Hatteras Island though. It's funny, the farther south you go on the Outer Banks, the nicer the people get. If you go all the way to Ocracoke you will find the nicest people around. I have had people there ask me if I wanted to ditch the hotel and just stay at their house!

Good luck down there.

Tom

· Registered
37 Posts
Dave,
If you are looking for someone to fish from a yak with let me know. I have no knowledge of the area other than Oregon Inlet is a huge fishing spot. I can take the drive down there, work permitting. The girlfriend will be out of town on business. Let me know if your interested.
If not, goodluck on your journey I'm sure we'll meet up fishing up here sometime.

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I made it down in good time....sat on the beach all day too lazy to get the yak out. There were pelicans diving and dolphins chasing fish all day off corolla...I can't imagine I can't catch something worth a damn out there. It was flat as can be today too. Of course I forgot my boat rods I planned on livelining some spot or croaker on....maybe the bait shop will get a visit.

Ryan I'd be down for whatever....I'm planning on seeing what the weather does and maybe venturing down to the OI area at least one day later on in the week. Monday is offshore outta HI. We'll see what I can find. If you plan on heading down gimmie a shout...443-621-9186.

can't believe the neighbors have wireless!!![smile]

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.