Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a cottage off of the Corrotoman river. We have been fishing in the creeks and at the mouth of the Corrotoman. Catching little fish with mostly artificial lures (Sassy shad etc.). New to the area, any advice.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Roryocon- Advice: wait til Fall! No seriously. try bottom fishing at mouth of Carters Creek, or below the bridge at Butlers Hole or at the Spike. Until yesterday's reports I'd say try trolling Windmill bar to #2 for Span. macs but wher'd they go? You find out and I'll go with you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
my dad also has a place on the corrotoman river right on ball point where are you on the river there is good crocker right off ball point

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
rory, with a 20' cc you ought to be able to go just about anywhere you want to in the Bay. You will need to pick you days for good weather to be on the safe side, but most of the time you can go somewhere.

Right now you should try fishing for Spanish mackerel and Bluefish
along the Windmill Point Bar out to buoy 2R then down to buoy 1R and back to the bar. Try going onto the shallow water along the bar - 12' deep or so - and move further out to the middle of the channel. Use at least a No. 1 planer and some inlines from 2 ozs. to 8 ozs. Pull small Clarke and Drone spoons on 15' leaders @20 - 30 lb. test with a small black barrel swivel in the middle. Troll speed for Spanish should be at least 6mph. For Blues you can drop back to 3 - 4.5mph. At 5mph you could get either.
Try a lot of different spots and troll back through any place where you get a fish. Look for birds working the surface and breaking fish. Keep an eye on your depth finder for fish marks in the screen. If you see them you ought to find something there to catch. Listen to your radio on channel 68 for reports from other boats. Now is the peak of the Spanish run so give it a try.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
The river is full of nice spot right now. Just look for the concentration of drifting boats in either direction when you come out of the Corrotoman into the Rapp.
Bloodworm flavor Fishbytes working VERY well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the tips, and will try them all. I have had some luck with fishbites between Carter's Creek and the bridge. My son (9) was having a blast pulling them in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts