Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone paying for heating oil and who do you use? What is your thermostat setting? Mine is 62. I switched from Carroll to Griffith a few years ago. I got a delivery a week ago at $6.70 / gallon. When I bought this house in 2003 it was $1.00 / gallon. There is going to be alot of people going cold this Winter............Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy at a filling station, jesus that's crazy for heating oil.

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
Get a heat pump.I've had all electric homes for the last 45 years .Heat pumpssince 1977.I had gas heat before that. I have a 2100 sq.ft home .A 2 ton( 24,000 btu) heat pump does the trick. My total electric bill for everything in the house was $1900 for the last 12 months. I keep the heat at 68 + I bought the optional humidifier on the unit that makes it feel warmer at a lower setting and you won't get a bloody nose from dry air or static electricity shocks using the humidifier during winter . I keep the air conditioning at 73 in summer and have ceiling fans in all the rooms which also makes it feel cooler and dryer in summer.I'm very happy with the heat pump . I like Carrier . they're the largest heat pump company in units manufactured and sold.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I didn't realized a lot of folks heat with oil down here. A lot of folks still do in the north east. The prices have been going up insanely, and they have always had big swings. Brother just put in a new 96% gas system up in NJ, and he's happy he did. Two ton on a 2100 square ft home? are the walls and ceilings made of Yeti coolers?... :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use Husky Heating Oil and today the price is $5.99.
I use about 350 or so gallons a year along with about an extra $175/month for 2 electric space heaters.
I don 't understand why its more than diesel at a gas station since they are the same and heating oil isn't taxed.
I have hot water baseboard heat so my boiler fires every so often just to keep itself at temp. It has a 1gal/hr nozzle so if it even just fires for an hour a day to keep its temp up, that's $180/month for not even a single btu!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a heat pump with oil back up. We are more then delighted with the heat pump. However when the outside temperature reaches a certain temperature it automatically goes to oil. We have been able to avoid using oil this year by turning the thermostat way down overnight. My house will lose six to eight degrees during the night. It does take a lot longer for the heat pump to raise the temperature the next day but will be considerably cheaper then $6.00 oil.

·
Registered
12,423 Posts
. Two ton on a 2100 square ft home? are the walls and ceilings made of Yeti coolers?... :)
My sunroom 16x16 faces south plus it gets a reflection off the water and heats most of the house on sunny winter days so the heat pump doesnt come on from late morning until dark . I set the thermostat at 68 but the sun warms the house up to the lower 70s most winter sunny days .My house is a 2 floor Bi Level. 1.100 q.ft up and 1,000 down. The lower level is cooler year around than the upper level . All these houses were built with 2 ton units. The first one was a GE in 77 it was a 9 seer I think.It lasted 35 years, The 10 year old one I have now is a 13 seer.It costs less now with the 13 seer than it did with the 9 seer.They make them up to 21 seers now. The higher the seer, the more efficient and the higher the cost for the unit. Check the decibals too ( noise level) My neighbor has a trane and it sounds like a train when it is running .

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not a fan of heat pumps personally. They are pretty durn efficient but the air coming out of the registers just does not have that warm, cozy feel. While on the subject of HVAC, I just received an email from PEPCO. They are running a deal where you can get certain thermostats (Smart ones) for $1 after instant rebate.

Marketplace

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Your oil burners also serve to heat your water as well, or do you have water heaters?

We had a house built in 86. Heat pumps were the thing. That house was never warm unless you turned on the E heat, or we light the wood stove. The worst!

That was a long time ago, I’m sure they’ve come a long way since

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not a fan of heat pumps personally. They are pretty durn efficient but the air coming out of the registers just does not have that warm, cozy feel. While on the subject of HVAC, I just received an email from PEPCO. They are running a deal where you can get certain thermostats (Smart ones) for $1 after instant rebate.

Marketplace
Yeah, SMECO has some good deals on thermostats, and LED bulbs too. If you lower the indoor airflow (to a point) On a heat pump it will raise the supply air temperature. Some of the newer smarter units can do it on their own, the older ones you have to get creative. I have an older unit, and I can get supply air from 87-102 degrees, BTU wise it's not a whole lot of difference. I was blowing 87 when it was 20 degrees out this morning, so I'm good with that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Your oil burners also serve to heat your water as well, or do you have water heaters?

We had a house built in 86. Heat pumps were the thing. That house was never warm unless you turned on the E heat, or we light the wood stove. The worst!

It's the installation or the wrong size unit or both. Older units were not as efficient, but they put out just as much heat. The newer variable speed, inverter (VFC) controlled ones can heat well at much lower temps while maintaining better efficiency.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Mine is strictly for heat. I have an electric water heater.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts