Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
I didn't realized a lot of folks heat with oil down here. A lot of folks still do in the north east. The prices have been going up insanely, and they have always had big swings. Brother just put in a new 96% gas system up in NJ, and he's happy he did. Two ton on a 2100 square ft home? are the walls and ceilings made of Yeti coolers?... :)

· Registered
965 Posts
Not a fan of heat pumps personally. They are pretty durn efficient but the air coming out of the registers just does not have that warm, cozy feel. While on the subject of HVAC, I just received an email from PEPCO. They are running a deal where you can get certain thermostats (Smart ones) for $1 after instant rebate.

Marketplace
Yeah, SMECO has some good deals on thermostats, and LED bulbs too. If you lower the indoor airflow (to a point) On a heat pump it will raise the supply air temperature. Some of the newer smarter units can do it on their own, the older ones you have to get creative. I have an older unit, and I can get supply air from 87-102 degrees, BTU wise it's not a whole lot of difference. I was blowing 87 when it was 20 degrees out this morning, so I'm good with that.

· Registered
965 Posts
Your oil burners also serve to heat your water as well, or do you have water heaters?

We had a house built in 86. Heat pumps were the thing. That house was never warm unless you turned on the E heat, or we light the wood stove. The worst!

That was a long time ago, I’m sure they’ve come a long way since
It's the installation or the wrong size unit or both. Older units were not as efficient, but they put out just as much heat. The newer variable speed, inverter (VFC) controlled ones can heat well at much lower temps while maintaining better efficiency.

· Registered
965 Posts
Also, there are changes in SEER ratings and a new round of refrigerant phase outs coming starting in January. Do your homework if you are in the market for a new unit, and have a defibrillator handy for when you get the price.

· Registered
965 Posts
375 to 750 watts should be enough.
Check your numbers, you couldn't make toast on that (most hair driers run 1200-1400 watts on hi). 750 watts would raise air temp about 2 degrees with a typical CFM air flow. The smallest residential heat strips are around 5 Kilowatts each, and you would normally want at least 2 of those, larger ones are usually 2-4 of them wired together, normally up to 20k.
Supplyhouse.com rules by the way.

· Registered
965 Posts
20k Watts would need 80Amps. 2k is more like it.
When I unplugged one of my 750's my electric bill went down by 20%
I got 20k back up, I unplug one 5k to run 15k most of the time, fed by two lines, 60 amps each. I added another sequencer to stage each 5k, they were paired, that prevents the start up spike, and keeps the meter from reading it. I'm thinking what you disconnected is a 7.5k, but easy enough to check by ohming it out.

· Registered
965 Posts
How can a two pole 60 amp air handler be efficient
It's not, but it only comes on when the heat pump can't keep up, and that is usually only when it's very cold out, and it raises the house temp about 2 degrees in 10 minutes and shuts off, so it only runs for significant time in Jan and Feb. It puts out 61k BTUs @ 103 degree supply temp, about 82 amps all told. If the high isn't going to be over freezing for the day, I'll shut off the heat pump and just run the strips as a straight furnace, the difference in electricity is minimal, oh, and It's only 9 cents per kwh here.

· Registered
965 Posts
So, what’s drawing 60 amps?
The heat strips. You use gas to generate heat, we use electricity, so take whatever you pay for gas and convert that to the electric bill. The only other electric draw in the air handler is the blower motor, which only uses about 2-3 amps depending on size and efficiency.
30 Amps for an outside heat pump is a lot. I have a 10 SEER 4 ton, and it is putting out right at 48k BTUs and draws 19-22 amps all told.

· Registered
965 Posts
Are any of you old enough to remember radiators? View attachment 283223 We had them all over our house in Highland Town.
Yup, pretty much every building in NYC ran them things when I was a kid. There are still many in service, as a matter of fact, they were selling for big $, when rich folks remodeled and wanted to go retro in their $$$$$$$ abodes.

· Registered
965 Posts
My 2 cents. It’s a shame the working family pays the price for decisions made beyond their control of a vote. The big cities in large part determine the nations direction because the masses vote one way. The big cities are under blue party rule and are disaster zones including Baltimore which isn’t even a big city. Blue party would rather you starve and be cold and broke and depend on them to give out freebies than to allow self sufficient production of energy because it’s against the wacko far lefts demands. So price of fuel goes up, so does food and everything thing else that gets transported by ship, truck, plane or train. Electric vehicles are a catastrophe waiting to happen because of this——
Are batteries for electric cars recyclable?

Currently, the only EV battery material worth recycling is cobalt. That leaves lithium, manganese, and nickel, among a host of other materials that may not be economically recyclable or require additional processing that drives cost.Aug 3, 2022
There’s a sea of grave yards around the world of them because they are TOXIC. Great idea! Push green earth but make the earth toxic. Anyway, if your concerned about pollution, look at a pollution image and you’ll see CHINA AND INDIA don’t give a flying flip about it and the United States has cleared up tremendously. Wait til they hit us with a carbon tax even though we are not the main offenders. Say what you want or disagree or vilify but just several years ago we were energy independent, was the number one exporter of fuel and we paid less than $2 for gas, and everything was MUCH CHEAPER. BS on its Putins fault. We have vast oil here but someone won’t let us produce it anymore. And not one person can dispute that every single disaster big city here in the US IS RAN BY BLUE!!!
No president has say over FED POLICY to print money, blue or red.

Does the President have control of the Fed?

When experts say the Fed is independent, that's mostly because the central bank has the power to raise, lower or maintain interest rates without approval from the legislative or executive branches. This means that there's nothing a president can really do to prevent the Fed from raising rates.Oct 7, 2022
Don't look now, but I think there's a bunch of kids stomping on your grass...

· Registered
965 Posts
View attachment 283231 One of you green new deal climate alarmists review this chart & justify the recent natural gas cost increase. Clean burning, abundant US supplied natural gas. Help us fossil fuel loving Neanderthals understand how it makes sense…without BS rhetoric or pie in the sky whimsical propaganda that you believe just cuz you know you’re right..
Put up the numbers for 2002-present and the answer will be obvious...

· Registered
965 Posts
Nah I did not take it that way. You just posted what was presented to you as having happened. That's why I was curious if they all failed in a similar fashion. 15 out of 50 is an astronomical failure rate. If I failed at catching a fish 30% of the time I went out I'd take up knitting.
LOL, a large crochet needle is useuful for servicing mini split heads...
I got familiar with them when I was stationed in Africa and "lived" in a container cooled by a mini split. They had contractors that serviced them, and some knew their stuff, and some didn't. Not sure why (actually I know) but they had a bunch of different models from different manufacturers, and they each had their quirks, some boards always went bad, on some the little motor that powered the louver would fail, some leaked refrigerant, and some blew compressors, but in that climate, I'm surprised they did as well as they did, if I remember correctly the Mitzubishis did well, They had brands I'd never heard of. One of my neighbors had the same unit as I did, and his seemed to break down more often than most... :rolleyes:

· Registered
965 Posts
Is this not wind chill rather than air temp? Regardless, I'll go slow so as to not deplete the warm air and suck in cold air. Unlike your sunroom, my green house is far from air tight.
KInda, some of it is perceived, and some of it is conservation of energy. The air you are moving has a certain amount of heat, the faster you move it into colder air, the faster it will mix towards equilibrium at a lower temperature, the amount of heat transfer remains the same. Same reason why folks think heat pumps feel cold.

· Registered
965 Posts
When I had my heat pump changed after the 77 35 year old GE heat pump went up the heat pump installer used the hot air /cold air blowing from the mouth analagy to explain basically how a heat pump works.There are differen't speeds on the blower motors on the heat pumps and they can be adjusted.however the higher speeds can make the air from the ducts feel cooler when heating and warmer when cooling.It's best to keep them on the lower setting for the best results.
Seems like not much fuel for your greenhouse radiant heater for a few days, the plus side is temps are going to be higher than normal. Heatpump has been running for around 15 minutes every hour or two with these temps for me. I'm gonna change the inside coil at some point, it's got a small leak, and refrigerant has gotten crazy expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts