Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Also, there are changes in SEER ratings and a new round of refrigerant phase outs coming starting in January. Do your homework if you are in the market for a new unit, and have a defibrillator handy for when you get the price.
Yeah, I attended a seminar at a Supply House showing off Bosch units. Very impressive. IIRC they ran down to 5F before calling for auxiliary heat.
If you have an older single speed heat pump make sure the thermostat is set to allow the heat pump to run when the aux heat is on.
Make sure the aux heat strips are not oversized as this will use too much electricity. 375 to 750 watts should be enough.
Even when extremely cold a single speed heat pump produces some heat and when added to the aux heat strip output can be toasty enough.

· Registered
458 Posts
Check your numbers, you couldn't make toast on that (most hair driers run 1200-1400 watts on hi). 750 watts would raise air temp about 2 degrees with a typical CFM air flow. The smallest residential heat strips are around 5 Kilowatts each, and you would normally want at least 2 of those, larger ones are usually 2-4 of them wired together, normally up to 20k.
Supplyhouse.com rules by the way.
20k Watts would need 80Amps. 2k is more like it.

When I unplugged one of my 750's my electric bill went down by 20%

· Registered
458 Posts
The trick is to get the most out of the heatpump at 15 amps, and minimize the electric heat at max of 60 amps.the

So make sure thermostat is is set to allow the heatpump and strip heat to run concurrently when needed, and also minimize the amount of strip heat (by unplugging some of it?)

If your knees are quaking consult a professional

1 - 6 of 6 Posts