Tidal Fish Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
My 2 cents. It’s a shame the working family pays the price for decisions made beyond their control of a vote. The big cities in large part determine the nations direction because the masses vote one way. The big cities are under blue party rule and are disaster zones including Baltimore which isn’t even a big city. Blue party would rather you starve and be cold and broke and depend on them to give out freebies than to allow self sufficient production of energy because it’s against the wacko far lefts demands. So price of fuel goes up, so does food and everything thing else that gets transported by ship, truck, plane or train. Electric vehicles are a catastrophe waiting to happen because of this——
Are batteries for electric cars recyclable?

Currently, the only EV battery material worth recycling is cobalt. That leaves lithium, manganese, and nickel, among a host of other materials that may not be economically recyclable or require additional processing that drives cost.Aug 3, 2022
There’s a sea of grave yards around the world of them because they are TOXIC. Great idea! Push green earth but make the earth toxic. Anyway, if your concerned about pollution, look at a pollution image and you’ll see CHINA AND INDIA don’t give a flying flip about it and the United States has cleared up tremendously. Wait til they hit us with a carbon tax even though we are not the main offenders. Say what you want or disagree or vilify but just several years ago we were energy independent, was the number one exporter of fuel and we paid less than $2 for gas, and everything was MUCH CHEAPER. BS on its Putins fault. We have vast oil here but someone won’t let us produce it anymore. And not one person can dispute that every single disaster big city here in the US IS RAN BY BLUE!!!
No president has say over FED POLICY to print money, blue or red.

Does the President have control of the Fed?

When experts say the Fed is independent, that's mostly because the central bank has the power to raise, lower or maintain interest rates without approval from the legislative or executive branches. This means that there's nothing a president can really do to prevent the Fed from raising rates.Oct 7, 2022
I venture to guess that if we manufactured here that what we source from China, India, Mexico et al, we would be a major contributor.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Are any of you old enough to remember radiators? View attachment 283223 We had them all over our house in Highland Town.
Our house has them, but I don't use them. I'm switching to Mitsubishi splits, 3 of the radiators were leaking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Our house has them, but I don't use them. I'm switching to Mitsubishi splits, 3 of the radiators were leaking.
Have you checked on availability of parts? Wife's cousin manages a hotel and they have MItsu units in one of their 50 room buildings. This past summer when I went by they had 15 of the 50 units out of service as they could not get the parts. They had to get window a/c units for each room.
I went with a 3 zone Pioneer mini split.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Are any of you old enough to remember radiators? View attachment 283223 We had them all over our house in Highland Town.
Yup, pretty much every building in NYC ran them things when I was a kid. There are still many in service, as a matter of fact, they were selling for big $, when rich folks remodeled and wanted to go retro in their $$$$$$$ abodes.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Any idea what went wrong with them? Did all fail for the same reason or...?
We seem to think that someone put straight tap water in them. The water out of the well is very soft and acidic, the pH is 6.1 and it ate them from the inside out.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
They also had radiant heat that was built by using pipes under the floors to heat the house instead of radiators. I think it was started in Levitt Town on Long Island NY. Ballard Gardes in Middle River still has them. Those houses were built in 54. Even during winter storms when the power went out these houses can stay warm for days with the latent heat frm the warm pipes /

·
Registered
792 Posts
My 2 cents. It’s a shame the working family pays the price for decisions made beyond their control of a vote. The big cities in large part determine the nations direction because the masses vote one way. The big cities are under blue party rule and are disaster zones including Baltimore which isn’t even a big city. Blue party would rather you starve and be cold and broke and depend on them to give out freebies than to allow self sufficient production of energy because it’s against the wacko far lefts demands. So price of fuel goes up, so does food and everything thing else that gets transported by ship, truck, plane or train. Electric vehicles are a catastrophe waiting to happen because of this——
Are batteries for electric cars recyclable?

Currently, the only EV battery material worth recycling is cobalt. That leaves lithium, manganese, and nickel, among a host of other materials that may not be economically recyclable or require additional processing that drives cost.Aug 3, 2022
There’s a sea of grave yards around the world of them because they are TOXIC. Great idea! Push green earth but make the earth toxic. Anyway, if your concerned about pollution, look at a pollution image and you’ll see CHINA AND INDIA don’t give a flying flip about it and the United States has cleared up tremendously. Wait til they hit us with a carbon tax even though we are not the main offenders. Say what you want or disagree or vilify but just several years ago we were energy independent, was the number one exporter of fuel and we paid less than $2 for gas, and everything was MUCH CHEAPER. BS on its Putins fault. We have vast oil here but someone won’t let us produce it anymore. And not one person can dispute that every single disaster big city here in the US IS RAN BY BLUE!!!
No president has say over FED POLICY to print money, blue or red.

Does the President have control of the Fed?

When experts say the Fed is independent, that's mostly because the central bank has the power to raise, lower or maintain interest rates without approval from the legislative or executive branches. This means that there's nothing a president can really do to prevent the Fed from raising rates.Oct 7, 2022
Don't look now, but I think there's a bunch of kids stomping on your grass...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll second the comments on the efficiency of the newer heat pumps. Much more efficient and comfortable than those built even 5 years ago.. I had two new 3 ton Trane high efficiency (not the super high versions) units installed three years ago for a 2700 sq ft house, that replaced 18 year old units. Maybe 40% less electricity used. I also had two Ecobee thermostats installed. The nice thing about the Ecobees is that it tracks when the fan is running, when the compressor is running and when the two stage electric auxiliary heat is on and produces a nice graphical historical report your can monitor. We keep the house at 70 during the day and 66 at night. The auxiliary heat rarely turns on, typically only in spurts once the temps get below 22. I estimate my heating costs for November through March to be about $200 per month. Cooling costs for June and September are about $150, and maybe $250 for July & August. Units rarely heat or cool in April, May & October.

But I will agree.... on a cold winter night, nothing beats the comfort of a wood stove.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Thanks Unc, my quip was actually for tinny. Mitsubishi makes a good product and 15 of 50 units down is nutso.
I can't see his posts, he's on ignore.

Reactions: O sea D and V-Tinny

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
I didn't realized a lot of folks heat with oil down here. A lot of folks still do in the north east. The prices have been going up insanely, and they have always had big swings. Brother just put in a new 96% gas system up in NJ, and he's happy he did. Two ton on a 2100 square ft home? are the walls and ceilings made of Yeti coolers?... :)
That's what the builder put in all the houses at the time.They work. Ive got 14 vents.I've read that a very high percentage of builders put units in that are too big.. Maybe that's what happenned to you and Tommy Tuna? Did you guys ever check to see if you have any insulation?

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
But, but, but FREE MONEY!!!! I should have named The Rubber Duck The Stimulus, because that's where it went.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is everyone paying for heating oil and who do you use? What is your thermostat setting? Mine is 62. I switched from Carroll to Griffith a few years ago. I got a delivery a week ago at $6.70 / gallon. When I bought this house in 2003 it was $1.00 / gallon. There is going to be alot of people going cold this Winter............Gary
$5.77/gallon from Southern States last week; up from $3.82/gallon in January.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts