Tidal Fish Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

· Registered
12,499 Posts
I get enough free Solar BTUs on sunny days in winter that my heat doesn't come on all day until after sun down from the solar heat from my sw facing sunroom. It can be 30 out and the sunroom will get to 80. The ceiling fan distributes it through out the living area, It directly warms the kitchen, living room,dining room and 3 bedrooms on the upper floor , The sunroom has easily paid for it self in a few years without any extra work or expense heating the house .You know how hot your car can get on sunny winter days . Now imaging a16x16 glassed in room.

· Registered
965 Posts
I get enough free Solar BTUs on sunny days in winter that my heat doesn't come on all day until after sun down from the solar heat from my sw facing sunroom. It can be 30 out and the sunroom will get to 80. The ceiling fan distributes it through out the living area, It directly warms the kitchen, living room,dining room and 3 bedrooms on the upper floor , The sunroom has easily paid for it self in a few years without any extra work or expense heating the house .You know how hot your car can get on sunny winter days . Now imaging a16x16 glassed in room.
Damn do I feel like Lamont right about now. I have an 8'x18' lean to type green house that has a sliding window entering the house. Never considered opening that window in the winter time...

· Registered
Love the Atlantic Coast
2 Posts
What is everyone paying for heating oil and who do you use? What is your thermostat setting? Mine is 62. I switched from Carroll to Griffith a few years ago. I got a delivery a week ago at $6.70 / gallon. When I bought this house in 2003 it was $1.00 / gallon. There is going to be alot of people going cold this Winter............Gary
Just Paid $4.89 a Gallon up in NY. Your right though. Going to be a lot of people freezing this time!!

· Registered
12,499 Posts
Use a low speed on the fan.The higher the velocity the cooler the air. Blow in your hand real slow lke you are trying to warm them and the hair comes out warm.Blow harder like you woud if you're trying to cool a bowl of soup and your air comes out cooler even though the air comes out of your mouth at the same temperature on both deliveries

· Registered
965 Posts
Use a low speed on the fan.The higher the velocity the cooler the air. Blow in your hand real slow lke you are trying to warm them and the hair comes out warm.Blow harder like you woud if you're trying to cool a bowl of soup and your air comes out cooler .
Is this not wind chill rather than air temp? Regardless, I'll go slow so as to not deplete the warm air and suck in cold air. Unlike your sunroom, my green house is far from air tight.

· Registered
12,499 Posts
I have a ceiling fan in the sunroom and it works good to move the warm air in, The ceilig is 11 ft. tall iat the roof peak in the sunroom , kitchen, liveing, dining room area I have outdoor thermometers next to my cold hardy palms and it reads the actual temperature rather than the wind chill on windy days.

· Registered
942 Posts
Is this not wind chill rather than air temp? Regardless, I'll go slow so as to not deplete the warm air and suck in cold air. Unlike your sunroom, my green house is far from air tight.
KInda, some of it is perceived, and some of it is conservation of energy. The air you are moving has a certain amount of heat, the faster you move it into colder air, the faster it will mix towards equilibrium at a lower temperature, the amount of heat transfer remains the same. Same reason why folks think heat pumps feel cold.

· Registered
12,499 Posts
When I had my heat pump changed after the 77 35 year old GE heat pump went up the heat pump installer used the hot air /cold air blowing from the mouth analagy to explain basically how a heat pump works.There are differen't speeds on the blower motors on the heat pumps and they can be adjusted.however the higher speeds can make the air from the ducts feel cooler when heating and warmer when cooling.It's best to keep them on the lower setting for the best results.

· Registered
942 Posts
When I had my heat pump changed after the 77 35 year old GE heat pump went up the heat pump installer used the hot air /cold air blowing from the mouth analagy to explain basically how a heat pump works.There are differen't speeds on the blower motors on the heat pumps and they can be adjusted.however the higher speeds can make the air from the ducts feel cooler when heating and warmer when cooling.It's best to keep them on the lower setting for the best results.
Seems like not much fuel for your greenhouse radiant heater for a few days, the plus side is temps are going to be higher than normal. Heatpump has been running for around 15 minutes every hour or two with these temps for me. I'm gonna change the inside coil at some point, it's got a small leak, and refrigerant has gotten crazy expensive.

· Registered
4,684 Posts
I bought a pellet stove and rarely use my gas heat furnace. Stove warms up most of the house. About a bag of pellets a day on high if it’s very cold out. Steady 78 in the living room now on low and around 70 ish throughout the house. Granted not a very cold day but about average til 32 degrees. Pellets cost me about 4 bucks a day if I use a whole bag on a very cold day.
Capt, how are you able to circulate radiant heat? Don’t know, just asking

· Registered
2,078 Posts
How many hours do you think you have tied up in all the work and expense with the wood by seasons end? Chopping, hauling, removing ashs etc? I've got a fire place, and all the drift wood I'd want without turning the key on in the truck to get it but I don't think it is worth all the trouble for me as little as it costs me with a heat pump? The only times I've ever used wood for heat was off the grid in Canada on remote fishing l cabins with no electricity and the only way in or out was by float plne. I didn't like getting up in the middle of the night to put more logs on the fire when it went out. That alone cured me of any thoughts of ever wanting to have a wood stove. I decided it was no fun and easier for me to pay for electricity unless I was off the grid. Maybe I'm too lazy to go through all that for heat if I don't have to? I took the easy way out. How much of a varience is ther in temperature for room to room? In the old days, each room had a fire place .
It’s not work its fun keeps me in good shape and save a-lot of money . Maybe not for everyone but it’s our way of life. grow your own make your own . Buying fuel for boat is what i hate

101 - 120 of 126 Posts