Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an older but very nice Wellcraft V20 - had a lot of recent work done and is ready for an outboard. My funds are extremely limited, I am told I should shoot for min. 150HP and a 20" shaft.

For a reliable used outboard and other stuff I would need - what am I looking at spending?

Thanks

G

·
I bought a 200 Johnson off this board for $2500. Controls, prop, guages, the works. Was very happy with it. A 150 sounds right, might even get away with a V-4 motor if price is an issue. Just do a compression check on any motor before you buy it. I like the looks of the V-20, good luck..

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's a great old hull and if memory serves me correctly, back in the seventies you used to see them with 140's on them so i'm sure today's 150's are more than adequate.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Not to get you thinking too much, but when I repower it'll be 4-stroke all the way. Esp w/ gas costing so much these days. So, I'd advise spending extra up front, and you'll save in the long run. My buddy priced out a 140 Suzuki 4-Stroke and a local Suzuki dealer quoted him about $6K w/o controls. My boat will require 200 hp, which is going to be about twice that price. The other thing is you can get deals on last year's models at places. And Suzuki was giving a 6 year warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When purchasing an "older boat," you can generally get the boat, motor, and trailer for the price of the motor. The owner of this "older Wellcraft" probably can't GIVE the sucker away. Unless he is trying to GIVE it to you, let him repower it! Then the rig will probably be worth the price of the motor he hangs on it. My $ .02.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
[q]When purchasing an "older boat," you can generally get the boat, motor, and trailer for the price of the motor. [/q]

Studying to be a new boat salesman?

Quite a few of these "older hulls" where much better built than those of today. That V20 design was a good boat and the numbers of those still in use testify to it.

As for the 4 stroke 2 stroke issue, do your home work and look at it from a cost to own perspective. You'll get better MPG with the 4 stroke but that's not the whole story. When all is said and done I think you'll find that the break even point is pretty far down the road.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
When I bought my 15 y.o. Grady 228, the the hull was valued at $10K and the 200hp Yamaha was valued at $1,500, so i would say it depends on the kind of boat you buy as to the value of hull vs. motor.

Also consider, a new 200hp engine costs $10-15K. A new 22' boat WA costs $38-$60K. Which do you think will depreciate more? Boat or engine?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Shamrock Marine, I believe in Pasadena. It was a previous year's model.

"As for the 140 hp I have an "03" model year DF 140 25" shaft that I can sell to you for $ 6956.00"

So make it $7K. Still a deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts