Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine who is a civil engineer for the army here in MD was talking to a DNR officer today and the poaching/gill net topic raised its ugly head.
The officer said that there might be consideration to delay or cancel the trophy season in MD because of all of the poaching. :52:
This conversation doesnt mean it will happen but to think that it is even being discussed - holy sh!t!!!!

The financial impact of this type of scenario goes WAY beyond anything that could impact the watermen, honest or not.
How many hundreds of charter boats are out there that wouldn't be fishing? How many recs wouldn't be buying gas, lures/tackle and paying for tranisent slips???? Restaurants/bars at the marinas/favorite fishing spots would feel the impact if there weren't any fishermen around in April/May.

There would be quite a few (1000's) pissed off recs/charter captains if this would happen all because of a small percentage of dishonest watermen.
Can you imagine what the poachers' trials would be like if they got caught and the season was cancelled or delayed? I think the courtroom would be full of pissed off recs/captains that would want a pound of flesh each from these a$$holes! :yes:

IMHO the rest of the gill net season needs to be closed to help justify keeping the regular trophy season intact. The extra comm poundage could be allcoated towards the trophy season.
Then ban the nets all together starting this summer.

Think about the possibility....It makes my stomach churn.

Jim

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Interesting, certain people used TF to point out to the NRP about TF guys hammering the rock before trophy season last year. The NRP seized the info and made new rules for upcoming season. Your hearing that the NRP could use the poaching as a reason to impact fishing this spring? Maybe thats why no one has turned in the poachers or tried to stop the poaching. Recreational fishermen may need someone or a group of someones full time to protect our rights and interests, concerning our right as Marylanders to use the Chesapeake Bay. Have to wait and see how the NRP treats us this year.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Interesting, certain people used TF to point out to the NRP about TF guys hammering the rock before trophy season last year. The NRP seized the info and made new rules for upcoming season.
Not trying to start a pi$$ing match, but I would like to interject that the words "hammering the rock" might give a false impression. First, DNR had no information about how many boats were involved with PSCR. Not even one "fly over" on a pretty day was done to count boats. Second, PSCR was reported to have <1% mortality asociated with this fishery. Third, DNR says they put the restrictions on for fear of sub-lethal impacts on the fish. Even the Maryland Charter Boat Assocation testified that we were "educating" the fish and it made them harder to catch once the season started.
So while I might agree that the nets are "hammering the rock", the PSCR fishermen were simply "disturbing" them. And they put restrictions on us.
DNR is evaluating the stock this year (2011). It was suposed to be done in 2012 but moved up a year mainly because of concerns about YOY index. DNR makes it sound as if "environmental factors" (winds, salinity, water temperature, etc.) are the major impact on the YOY index. Maybe the North Carolina trawlers, Virginia winter season, fishing beyond the EEZ, and Md. gill netting has an impact also.
Look for more restrictions next year. Md. DNR has no power to stop North Carolina or Virginia, so look for MD. to take another hit so we can save fish for the other states.
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Not going to happen. 100% BS.
Agreed....and here's why:
The DNR allocates the catch between Rec and Comm interests by way of a quota system for specific species and type of gear. In this case the catch from the illegal netting is being charged against the February quota of the commercial gill net fishery. The last numbers I saw when the season was closed, the quota had about 90,000 lbs open with 120,000 lbs held in reserve.
So until NRP recovers from illegal nets or can otherwise account for roughly 200,000 lbs of fish, it comes off the commercial gill net quota.
From the numbers I've seen the NRP has accounted for approximatedly 70,000 lbs of illegally netted fish so far.

This shouldn't have any effect on the Recreational quota until and unless the original commercial gill net quota is exceeded.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I hope Steve is right.

Another part of the conversation in the above post about the poaching was about the watermen that had warrants served on them.
It was mentioned that one of the waterman drives around in a $50-60,000 truck and has a brand new $80K engine in his boat yet claims to make only $24,000/yr when he files his taxes.
Yeah right! I smell something fishy here...
Hopefully more info will come to light soon.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Trophy season needs to be pushed back a week or two PERIOD. Most of the fish caught in those first few weeks haven’t even spawned yet. So don't go crying about nets and poachers destroying a fishery when your out "filling the box" with roe laden fish.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Trophy season needs to be pushed back a week or two PERIOD. Most of the fish caught in those first few weeks haven't even spawned yet. So don't go crying about nets and poachers destroying a fishery when your out "filling the box" with roe laden fish.
Once again if we want to believe that DNR is managing our fishery correctly. DNR has stated directly that the opening of season is picked at a time that the majority 80% + of fish have already spawned or are on the spawning grounds.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
As many know I am a commissioner on the Sport Fish Advisory Commission, if there was talk of this I would think I would have heard it, if not from DNR from some fellow Commissioners and I have not heard one single thing about it. Sounds more like a rumor to me. IF I do hear anything about it I will certainly post something about it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Trophy season needs to be pushed back a week or two PERIOD. Most of the fish caught in those first few weeks haven't even spawned yet. So don't go crying about nets and poachers destroying a fishery when your out "filling the box" with roe laden fish.
I agree totally. They may say 80% are spawned out but that has not been my experience from what my buddies who fish that season tell me. Move it back 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I hope Steve is right.

It was mentioned that one of the waterman drives around in a $50-60,000 truck and has a brand new $80K engine in his boat yet claims to make only $24,000/yr when he files his taxes.
Yeah right! I smell something fishy here...
Nothing fishy here.....if he's set up right with a decent accountant the truck and the boat are business expenses and would be filed under his corporate tax returns. After all is said and done he probably only had 24K profit last year on paper. Fishing is an expensive business.
I'm sure other small business owners on this board also write off everything they legitimately can on their taxes.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Still have to have the cash to pay for the business write offs.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Still have to have the cash to pay for the business write offs.
You're right Skip......I don't know bout you but my business and personal accounts are completely separate. I don't get paid until the bills are paid.

Back to the original topic:
I just finished listening to the WYPR broadcast, as of this morning 9525 yards of illegal net has been recovered containing 25,394 lbs of rockfish.
According to Tom McDonnell (sp?) of DNR this will be applied against the commercial gill net February quota.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Moving the season back 2 weeks is not going to do anything!! The weather will play a big factor on when those fish spawn. If we have a colder than average March and April and the water temps are still in the 50 to low 60's, pushing it back 2 weeks will do NOTHING. Every year is different. I have caught Roe-Laden fish in the middle of May. I will say that the majority of the BIG OLD females show up in mid March. I have C&R multiple fish over 50+ lbs in March. The Bigger and older fish come early and leave early.

If they where to open the season 2 weeks early the Maryland State Record would be broke!! I guarntee it!!

I think that the 3rd Weekend in April is fine.

My .02

Phil(lily)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A buddy of mine who is a civil engineer for the army here in MD was talking to a DNR officer today and the poaching/gill net topic raised its ugly head.
The officer said that there might be consideration to delay or cancel the trophy season in MD because of all of the poaching. :52:
This conversation doesnt mean it will happen but to think that it is even being discussed - holy sh!t!!!!

The financial impact of this type of scenario goes WAY beyond anything that could impact the watermen, honest or not.
How many hundreds of charter boats are out there that wouldn't be fishing? How many recs wouldn't be buying gas, lures/tackle and paying for tranisent slips???? Restaurants/bars at the marinas/favorite fishing spots would feel the impact if there weren't any fishermen around in April/May.

There would be quite a few (1000's) pissed off recs/charter captains if this would happen all because of a small percentage of dishonest watermen.
Can you imagine what the poachers' trials would be like if they got caught and the season was cancelled or delayed? I think the courtroom would be full of pissed off recs/captains that would want a pound of flesh each from these a$$holes! :yes:

IMHO the rest of the gill net season needs to be closed to help justify keeping the regular trophy season intact. The extra comm poundage could be allcoated towards the trophy season.
Then ban the nets all together starting this summer.

Think about the possibility....It makes my stomach churn.

Jim
Harlan,

I'm sorry, but I could not help but find your post delightful. I believe that you have posted a few times that the net season should remain closed or that nets should be banned completely. When it affected Maryland watermen, most of the members on here stated "oh well" "tuff luck". The rockfish need to be protected. But when there was mention that you guys might not be able to go out and keep a trophy fish, you yell that the world is going to come to an end. Even if the fear only lasted a minute, I feel there was a little bit of justice today. So, how do you feel now that the shoe almost fell on the other foot.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Push it back to May 15. One fish over 40". 28"-32" is no trophy. No natural bait during the flats season. Barbless hooks only during flats season.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
855 Posts
Harlan,

I'm sorry, but I could not help but find your post delightful. I believe that you have posted a few times that the net season should remain closed or that nets should be banned completely. When it affected Maryland watermen, most of the members on here stated "oh well" "tuff luck". The rockfish need to be protected. But when there was mention that you guys might not be able to go out and keep a trophy fish, you yell that the world is going to come to an end. Even if the fear only lasted a minute, I feel there was a little bit of justice today. So, how do you feel now that the shoe almost fell on the other foot.
I knew this would come up. I say ban the nets and the trophy season, I'm good with that Big Liar. I don't need to keep any fish, I fish for "Recreation". I do keep some to eat once in a while but I would gladly give that up to keep the fishery strong for my kids! C&R all year. :popcorn:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Harlan,

I believe he was basing his argument behind reasons of simple economics... not his own personal recreation.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts