Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After fishing Cedar Point rip and areas around the Gas Dock, Ray and I rolled up to CCNPP rip. We were greeted by two of the dumbest folks in a Bayliner runabout I have ever seen. It was a man and woman in 17 footer.
They were anchored ON the pipe and wouldnt budge, not the first time Ive seen that though. Very dangerous and stupid.
We set up our drift a good 30 yards from them,and started catching fish, and were bombarded by their metal lures. One actually hooking Rays line while he had a fish on, and they tried to claim the fish! I didnt see them catch anything as we drifted away and continued to catch fish giving this Mensa couple lots of room to fish. I wasnt angry as it was almost comical. Thet were there first and had set up on the pipe. The funniest thing of all was even though they were at anchor, they had their motor running the entire hour we were there. I dont think they even knew it!
We headed south after a while and found breakers just North of the Gas Docks. Before heading back to the barn.
I hope they ran out of fuel

Jeff

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
:eek2: - not a good place to anchor.Wonder if they were able to get the anchor back.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Jeff,

You sure have had some interesting moments on the bays the past few weeks. At least you keep getting fish.

Jim

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I've been wondering when someone is going to get pulled under there. Those little fish around the pipe ain't worth it. I saw a guy last year throw in an anchor off the stern. If the wind shifted and pulled him into the rip, bye bye.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Jeff- the outflow has been on my "to dive" list but I worry about getting tangled in the cobweb of braided line that must be on the bottom there.

Not many places spook me about diving but with that current and the amount of braided line- the outflow causes me to rethink it everytime I plan to dive there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The last few weeks out there have presented a lot of similar scenarios for me. It's gotten to the point where I won't even try to work breakers if there is a boat within view. It's inevitable that as soon I start working breakers, some yahoo comes blasting right through them, circling around at full throttle--scaring off the fish and creating huge wakes.

I fish to relax and have a pleasant time, but it seems that to work breakers in some areas, you have to be an aggressive a-hole. Too much of that in my usual work day.

·
Registered
981 Posts
What's the etiquette in this situation. If someone is anchored right over a spot, such as a well known wreck during a good moving tide, is it improper to set up a drift next to them?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Jeff, You sure have kept me entertained and informed lately....Keep up the reports...I've been looking to ho down your way....Always welcome up here...bill

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Pbramble - tough call on what is best.I always try to ask the anchored boat if it is OK to fish near them.99% of the time they will say OK and this simple gesture keeps it civil.

I've seen boats drifting for hours and then one guy decide to anchor - that always causes tempers to flare.

Most fishermen will go out of their way to help you if you ask.Some will even loan/give you lures/bait :thumbup:. Once we "invited" a small boat to tie to our stern because their anchor was not holding.They caught a few fish and I made a new friend :yes:.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
What's the etiquette in this situation. If someone is anchored right over a spot, such as a well known wreck during a good moving tide, is it improper to set up a drift next to them?
Within reason. I anchor up at CCNP sometimes. If I'm the first one on site, and it's the right thing to do on that day. There are certain rocks there that can only be accessed while anchored. If folks are already there drifting, I won't anchor in their drift line.

I did have a guy get pissy last year. He was was down the rip 400 yards and somehow caught sight of the bent rods, and then roared up and wanted to drift where I was anchored. He pushed it, and being a newbie, he did not account for the backcurrent that runs along the seam. It pushed him right toward my boat and he would have hit us if we all did not fend off.

Of course idiots, when encountered with the unexpected, tend not to apologize. This guy proceeded into a foul, threatening rant. Poor guy - I hope he didn't have kids.

A short time later, I set the hook on another 30 pounder....

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As far as Im concerned they were there first, therefore it was their spot, even though Rips etiquette would have had them pull anchor and drift. There was no safety issue, no danger,just a pretty day with a pair of bumpkins trying to drown themselves.
We caught fish despite the fact that they were there and had a great day doing so.
They were there first so live and let live.

All is well

I still hope they ran out of fuel!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
man Jeff, you have been having ways down here. in the words of Teddy Rosevelt "Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK!!!!!"

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Skip:

I kinda think the guys in black ( and automatic guns) near the reactor would take exception to you diving around their pipe. You know they're watching.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
I've spoken to the CG about diving there - as long as I call and tell them, they were OK with it. I have to do the same when I dive at the bridge.They just need to be informed ahead of time.

A diver could do no damage to the outflow.
The intake is different and that is why we can not fish there anymore.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
As far as Im concerned they were there first, therefore it was their spot, even though Rips etiquette would have had them pull anchor and drift. There was no safety issue, no danger,just a pretty day with a pair of bumpkins trying to drown themselves.
We caught fish despite the fact that they were there and had a great day doing so.
They were there first so live and let live.

All is well

I still hope they ran out of fuel!

Jeff
Look, despite what you may have heard on TF, there are no "generally accepted" rules of etiquette for fishing at CCNPP. Some people drift, some anchor, some even troll. I've done all of the above. Nobody has to give up their anchor so you can drift the way you want. Even if they came in after you and chose to anchor, that's not illegal (or even that unusual). The small bayliner was probably somebody local, who's been fishing there a long time, and knows exactly what they want to do and how they want to do it. It's quite likely they don't read TF and "know" that anchoring was cool in 1998 and became uncool later thanks to the tireless efforts of Capt. Brady. They may just be passing the time until evening, when they'll go looking for serious fish.

If you come in and fish, respect the people that are there, and most of the time, they will do likewise. Yep, sometimes lines get crossed; it happens, suck it up and live with it. Or leave.

Your attitude sucks.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
even though Rips etiquette would have had them pull anchor and drift.
Jeff
Jeff, old buddy. That just ain't right. Etiquette says that when I arrive, I survey the situation and figure out the best tactic for the conditions in the context of what the folks already there are doing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts