Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to see this sign and cover crop today in my travels. At least something is working ?...

They are of Woodlands Farm in Perryville MD owned by the Coudon family. Two thumbs up !!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Most good farmers plant cover crops anyway - primarily winter wheat. Then they either make money when they harvest it, or they save money on fertilizer if they plow it under.
Only difference is - now "WE'RE" paying for crop.

409 Posts
[Q]mikie originally wrote:
Most good farmers plant cover crops anyway - primarily winter wheat. Then they either make money when they harvest it, or they save money on fertilizer if they plow it under.
Only difference is - now "WE'RE" paying for crop.
[/Q]

If we are paying for the crop then it has to get plowed under.

Anyway it's a small price to pay to keep the run off at a minimum.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are cover crops mandatory? I think they should be - be it for farmers or private property owners (especially those immediately adjacent to watersheds w/ exposed embankments).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[Q]wag23455 originally wrote:
Are cover crops mandatory? I think they should be - be it for farmers or private property owners (especially those immediately adjacent to watersheds w/ exposed embankments).

[/Q]
No, they are not in MD. The MD Flush tax provides $ to farmers to do so. It has met with great resistance. Remember the largest tributary to the Bay starts in NY !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Scotty, I'm glad to see that something is being done with that money. However nature has a way to flub that up as I saw thousands of snow geese arriving yesterday eating up all the winter wheat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts