Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know marketing is important to any business, but the Virginia Marine Products Board has a fact sheet promoting cow nose rays for (human) food. Does anyone actually call cow nose "veal of the sea" ???
It certainly is the cow nose they are talking about, right down to the latin species name Rhinoptera bonasus.

Guess what we have all been missing?

"Tender meat with beefy flavor. Its color is comparable to tuna before and after cooking. Ray, sometimes called "Veal of the Sea", is a new product for the food service market. Ray has all the benefits of fish without the fishy taste." :eek2:

I certainly do believe them when they say that cow nose's are sustainable. No threat of extinction I can see :hysterical:

http://www.virginiaseafood.org/consumers/factsheets/ches_stingray.htm

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
I know marketing is important to any business, but the Virginia Marine Products Board has a fact sheet promoting cow nose rays for (human) food. Does anyone actually call cow nose "veal of the sea" ???
It certainly is the cow nose they are talking about, right down to the latin species name Rhinoptera bonasus.

Guess what we have all been missing?

"Tender meat with beefy flavor. Its color is comparable to tuna before and after cooking. Ray, sometimes called “Veal of the Sea”, is a new product for the food service market. Ray has all the benefits of fish without the fishy taste." :eek2:

I certainly do believe them when they say that cow nose's are sustainable. No threat of extinction I can see :hysterical:

http://www.virginiaseafood.org/consumers/factsheets/ches_stingray.htm
Garbage. Try and eat just one!!..... Gary

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skate is excellent, and I never pass it by when I see it on a menu (usually at a French restaurant). There is a great bistro style (i.e, not too snooty) French restaurant in Bethesda near the Bethesda Cinema that has it. yum. I have also had skate in France and other northern European countries. Cant recall seeing in in Spain, Italy or Greece, but I might simply have missed it.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I bought skate at Wegmans and pan fried it. It was excellent. I bought CNR at Wegmans and tried it same way. It was just OK and looked gross when cooked...

I have had Southern Stingray grilled and it was very good.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Was down in Chinco this past summer and neighbor bowshot one. Cleaned and breaded it. Best flavored breadcrumbs I've ever had. Can't say much for the ray though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cownosed rays are really very good eating when fresh. Just fillet out the wings from the skin and the cartilage. You can make them taste like what you want by the way you cook them. Veal, shrimp, crab----- BUT, they are related to sharks and the way they process body waste means they can have a high urea content. I find if you eat them within 24 hrs with proper handling they are good. Let them linger or don't chill them well and my dog wont even p---11 on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.