Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has some land in Brunswick county VA near the Brunswick/Greenville border. Last year he thought he saw a coyote on the property. Yesterday I had just left there heading for home on 58 and nearly hit what I am certain was a coyote. This is just minutes from my Dad's place. I coudn't believe what I saw in broad daylight. I think he was chasing a meal but I was shocked to see him on 58. We have never seen a bear in 20+ years there. Saturday a pack of hounds jumped something outside our property. The chase lasted a good while and came onto our property. My Dad was heading out for the evening hunt and the chase had been going on for a while. The pack was coming his way as he walked up the road. He was watching the woods thinking they were coming straight to him. He turned and looked up the road and saw the butt of very dark animal dissappear around the corner running down the road. The pack was only a minute or so behind after a very long chase. At first he thought deer. But after a while he questioned himself. Dark hair, no flag up, lower to the ground than a deer would be. Most likely this was a deer. Has anyone in Brunswick ever seen a coyote or bear? Would a bear even run that far and that long from a pack of hounds?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am not surprised by either. There are lots of coyotes around here now, several are killed at Pickett each year and I have heard them howling in the early pre-dawn hours up there. And yes to the bears, I had a sow and two cubs come by me one afternoon last year while bowhunting Pickett.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Coyotes are in eastern Charles City County near the Chicahominy/James River area. They were seen last year and in more quantities this year. New Kent has a population also and James City has a few too. Looks like they are here to stay.
budc

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hunt on the Brunswick Lunenburg line on the other side of Brunswick and there are both there. Plenty of coyotes and quite a few bears. The bears seem to disapear during the season though. We're right on the meherin. Alot of the bears are seen right on or within a mile or two of the river.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
A friend of mine used to have a cabin on the Meherrin river and he saw 3 bears real early one morning in a food plot.

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts