Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit of Mexico on cold day - w pics

I was leery booking a dive trip the first week of December to Cozumel , Mexico.
We get a great deal traveling that week but I was thinking of all the good fishing I might miss. From the TF reports and weather - looks like the gamble paid off.

If you like warm weather and water - booking a trip the 1st and 2nd week of December can save lots of money. Our hotel room was $68.00 USD - after Christmas it will be triple that. Cozumel is a divers paradise - clear water and an awesome reef. Did night dives right in front of the hotel.

If you look close - the darker water is 35 feet deep. Diving was great but we did encounter an odd problem. On Tuesday - the ocean was closed. No lie - no boats were allowed out , no shore diving either. It was blowing but only about 20 knots - maybe 3 foot whitecaps. The 45 foot boats could handle it but the Cozumel government sides on caution. Tourists getting hurt is bad news. In fact , a local diver about 22 years old went missing Monday. No one knows what happened - he just never came up.

We all kept an eye out for his body when searching some of the reef edges / overhangs.

The entire area is off limits to fishing - lots of cool critters on the reef. The visibility is great - even at 110 feet down - you can see the surface. Sure bets the local 2 feet or less.

The locals are about as nice as you'll meet anywhere and crime is almost unheard of. Fun place for new divers - in fact some go there to learn to dive.

I did not have the camera when we swam by a huge anchor left behind years ago. This monster was easily 6 foot tall - had me drooling.

Talked to a few guys about fishing - going rate seemed to be about $450.00 for 8 hours. Not the best time - mostly Wahoo. They said April to June was best for Marlin / Sailfish.

Tough leaving 80* sunshine to come back to 28* and flurries.​

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great pics. Sucks that area is off limits to fishing. You ever dive the Keys? I did a shore dive from Key West and came across multiple anchors in less than 15'. Kind of sucks paddling back with 4-5 plows and danforths (some with 50'+ of chain), so they are still there if you're ever down that way.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishizzle - Dove Key West a few years ago but off a dive boat.

Never thought to look for anchors - figured clear warm water and plenty of divers , no one would leave one behind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.