Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm getting ready to buy a crab cooker. Is there a minimum BTUs the burner should be? Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
i have a propane cooker i got with pot that will cook a bush.at on time. looks much like cookers for turkey friers prob. anything that big will do well .sorry not 100% sure on btu .bdog gone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I saw that thread, but it doesn't mention btu's for the burner. Looks like a lot of people use burners that are sold as "turkey fryers" and some people use something called a "jet" burner. The btu's for a lot of the turkey fryers are around 50,000. A few are over 200,000. I'll be using a 60 Qt. stainless steel pot. I want to make sure I don't incinerate my crabs if I go with the higher btu burner. Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
you can't heat the water past boiling ( 212 i believe) unless it is under pressure. Only way to ruin then is to not have enough water. More BTU = more heat= more steam so add a little more h2o and you should be fine. Cut back on the time a little as well

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
you can't heat the water past boiling ( 212 i believe) unless it is under pressure. Only way to ruin then is to not have enough water. More BTU = more heat= more steam so add a little more h2o and you should be fine. Cut back on the time a little as well
Once you generate steam it can't get any hotter as long as you have water to boil. Once boiling add your crabs, cover tightly and leave for exactly 19 minutes. Don't change the time. Your crabs will be perfect everytime and not watery. A tight cover is key and 19 minutes are key. At least this is what works for me everytime.:rockon::chugbeer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts