Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm going to setup a refrigerator to keep crabs in this year. I know you have to get oxygen to them. Instead of proping the door open can you put a couple holes in it with a hole saw? I would think it easier to regulate temp that way but still provide plenty of air. If anyone has done this can you share what size holes and how many? One other thing is what temperature should they be kept at?

Thanks,
Mike

COME ON SPRING!!!!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
Why not!

I don't know of anyone that's cut holes in their frig for ventilation, but there's no law that says it can't be done. If you do that you could add a simple flap that slides over the hole to regulate the amount of air flow by increasing/decreasing the opening size.
If you do go the route of cutting holes in the frig, I would recommend one low and one high so there could be a draft effect rather than just relying on air transfer in and out of one source.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
If you really feel like doing some cutting you could do it with wall vents for heating and air conditioning.

That's what I used when I built my smoker, plenty of draft.

Chris

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking along the lines of what Polecat said. Putting flaps over them that I can swivel open when I have crabs in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cousin set up an air pump (like you use in a fish tank) in his refrigerator to put air
into his crabs in the refrigerator. His says he doesn't lose harding any this way. I take
his word on that because I don't know I/we always cook...eat ours!!! Good luck
dmelrath

1 - 7 of 7 Posts