Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm well aware of the navigational hazards of crab pots. I've even hooked a few trolling, back in the day. But in regards to fishing, do you consider them a complete nuisance, or rather as possible structure holding decent sized fish ? Curious about your thoughts.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I often fish around them in Tangier sound . If you can get a decent drift between two long rows of pots , sometimes the area will be loaded with fish . I think the fish are attracted to all the crabs in the area going into the pots , not so much a structure thing .

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I've lost too many rigs to ghost pots in the mouth of the West to consider them anything other than a nuisance. I'm limited in my range, so I end up in the minefield of crab pots all too often.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If appropriately marked and navigated carefully, definitely friend. Ghost pots on the other hand, can make your day really challenging (and expensive).

·
Registered
44 Posts
On a nice, relatively calm day, they are great for drifting past for croaker and catfish in the mid Potomac. Not so nice dodging them in bad weather/low light conditions.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If your sonar is out or you don't know the area...the pots are usually in a productive area for fishing. I think the fish would be there even if the pots never existed though. Besides that, they are my foe.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
We used to troll and area near Solomons that was loaded with pots. We were catching weakfish and mackeral. The bait in the pots brought in baitfish and predators. in 15 feet of water, we'd pick our line and troll #1 planers and Clarks to good success.

I'm talking 1997 here. I haven't seen a weakfish in that area for years...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Actually, crabs eat the same food as most fish in the bay. It stands to reason that a crab pot is like a big chum box. Crabber baitys it, fish are attracted. Look for a crabber fishing his pots, you are likely to score some nice fish

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
The pot itself really does not break the current enough for fish to sit behind it like a rock or piling.Some of the older lost pots might be clogged up enough with grass to be structure though.

The crabs seem to migrate deeper at about the same pace as fish so often fishing just outside the crab pots is good.Sometimes the best fishing is just inside - then it is tough not to snag the pots.

They are a real foe in late fall when they are out in 55-60 feet on the channel edge and a strong current pushes the float under :eek::eek: so you can not see it until you snag the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts