Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ran accross this in my cabela's saltwater cat. looks like a square bait box with about 10 mono line loops attached as snares. says ya coa use with fishing rod? anybody ever used this or seen one work? does snares pll tight when you retrive it and open when not being pulled or given slack? looks like it would be a mess with crab tangled up and claws a snapping

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
got pic?

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Right..........

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys ,no joke. it is in cabela's cat. i don't know how to post a pic from cat. but it's a wire mesh cube to hold bait and attract crabs, than about 7 of some type mono line loops/snares. check online cabela's site may have pic. listed as seven-loop crab snare.i am not pulling some bs to get a rise,just 1st time i seen it. hey antman ya find any deals at oc show? as you may guess i made it back ok.place still looks like a war zone.prob. never be same,whole sections like ghost town.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
bdog,
Tony gave us a link to the snare.

It may work, but Ill keep my c-tpx, trotline and handlines off the pier. Plus the 2 pots allowed.

I am looking forward to hear from someone how the snare works.

Good luck to those that try it!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
b.dog, only "deal" I got was $52 for a 50lb bucket of JO...lucky for me I paid when I saw it sat morn and told em' to just hold it for me because it looked like they sold out (50# buckets) pretty fast.
As for the trap, click on the link and see if that is the type of trap you're talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

BB, the link I provided is off Ebay for a trap......When I saw it I figured it was similar to what bdog was talking about.

Groundhog says winter is almost over:confused: I'm not really looking forward to that.....still can't crab until later anyway:mad: But, let me tell you fella's.....this year I will be READY like no other;)

Tony

·
Registered
53 Posts
crab snares

Anglers at the Bay Bridge has them ... but they look like they may work too well. I could imagine untangling crabs all day might prove to be tedious .....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya thats what i thought. what a fun time get them off snares. anyway i am not swapping my traps and line ,just found it a bit diff. bring on the sping ! saves on heating bill mo money for important stuff like crabbing and fishing gear !

·
Registered
970 Posts
Antman what do you mean ready? What will you do? I know I am getting new floats, and making lead anchors, and repair the line. What do the crabs do in the pax?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Antman what do you mean ready? What will you do? I know I am getting new floats, and making lead anchors, and repair the line. What do the crabs do in the pax?
Fish, one of the main things I'm doing this year(along with the "usual") is to have at least 240lbs of bull lips ready to go......cut with the bandsaw, trimmed to bait size and salted down real good before the season starts.

Tony

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey tony thats a load of bait. have you found a use for odd pc's and scrap from bull lips?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
They are commonly used out west for non swimming crabs with longer legs such as Dungenese. I think you might rip the legs off blue crabs with them. I have seen them in action in Northern Ca. The do work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks rgminer. now that would make sense. big crabs big legs. prob catch one at a time. still what do you do with a crab that's snapping claws as you untangle it? ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Antman- Do the bull lips work as well as chicken necks, I have never tried them
IMHO yes. I crab beside guys with necks and eel all summer and make out just as well as they do. What I will try to do this summer is bait a line and alternate chicken and BL and have someone with me that can keep track of the catch.....cuz' when I start catchin' crabs I LOSE IT:eek:
There is some "prep" work involved with bull lips.....but you get several days use out of a baited line on the type of days necks might not make it past noon.

Tony

1 - 20 of 26 Posts