Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for ideas for an outdoor steamer that I can build at the new house, off the Miles River. I'm thinking 1/2 bushel or so at a time. Beer keg with baskets?

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RJ - I saw your design and Crabfest 2007 and it's probably the way I'll go because I haven't seen anything else since then. Nothing available on the market? Jim

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I got a full bushell steamer that was made by a friend of my pops at the Point. Stainless with a removable grate in the bottom. My bro might have an extra if your interested.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm looking for ideas for an outdoor steamer that I can build at the new house, off the Miles River. I'm thinking 1/2 bushel or so at a time. Beer keg with baskets?
The KEG is the way to go. I can get em' cheap, send me a bmail.

I also have a guy making baskets if you need.

As far as cutting them......Plasma cutter;-)

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Topfish1- Thanks. I will send you a bmail tomorrow. Jim

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is what I've been using for about 40 years. Its an old mess hall pot. Will hold full bu. + 2 doz. ears of corn. 3/8 thich alum. will hold heat better than SS. Might find one in surplus store. George

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Up on the Roof............................a boom boom boom

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like the idea of using (what I think is) the upper part of the older style kegs as a topper for the veggies, etc.

I'm guessing that's what it is used for.???
That's an old school lobster bake:

Water
Seaweed
Lobsters
Seaweed
corn
Seaweed
shrimp / mussles
Seaweed
Potatoes

Steam for 45 min... Serve and EAT

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pete - Wow. Now THAT is a great family tradition. Are you from New England? I only discovered Maine about 6 years ago. Lobster is my favorite meal although I have it very rarely. I must have it this week after seeing your pics. Jim

·
Registered
451 Posts
Pete - Wow. Now THAT is a great family tradition. Are you from New England? I only discovered Maine about 6 years ago. Lobster is my favorite meal although I have it very rarely. I must have it this week after seeing your pics. Jim
Without boring you with the long story the short is: Yea Jim; I'm from Gales Ferry Ct. My family has done Lobsters for Thanksgiving as far back as I can remember. Over the years it's changed slightly but the Lobsters have remained constant.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Damn Highlanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can feel my gout starting up just thinking of eating Lobsstaa in drawn budda.

;-)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a nice heavy SS steamer pot that my dad had made at their shop back in the mid 90's. It's heavy gauge Stainless and I just got it back since it was in storage for the last 10 years. LOL. I must have gone through 6 pots in the last ten years so it's good to have this one. I need to hit it with some steel wool to clean it up but other than that its perfect. I think it will do a little over a half bushel depending on what kind of platform I put on the bottom to keep the crabs high and dry.

·
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave Jr. - Nice looking steamer. Someone could make a few bucks by designing and manufacturing these for sale. Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts