Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNR has released the 2022 crab dredge survey results. Someone can post the link. 97,000,000 females, 27,000,000 males and 101000,000 juveniles. Lowest on record but no problem. Female population went from 158,000,000 to 97,000,000. A loss of roughly 1/3 but since the number is above the amount needed there is no concern,. To me this is a crock of ****. We can really get into a debate over this rationale. The numbers have decreased every year since 2008 but there is no reason to reverse the trend. Bull****.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
DNR has released the 2022 crab dredge survey results. Someone can post the link. 97,000,000 females, 27,000,000 males and 101000,000 juveniles. Lowest on record but no problem. Female population went from 158,000,000 to 97,000,000. A loss of roughly 1/3 but since the number is above the amount needed there is no concern,. To me this is a crock of . We can really get into a debate over this rationale. The numbers have decreased every year since 2008 but there is no reason to reverse the trend. Bull.
A come-on that’s your elected government at work

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Poor blue cats will starve if we can't get a better crab yield. They just love to vacuum them up. Bay in free fall.......
Has any study been done on Blue Cat predation of Blue Crabs in the Chesapeake? The notion that Rockfish eat all the crabs has been debunked. And in any event, Rockfish populations are down. Water quality since 2008 has fluctuated, but has mostly trended slightly better, so that doesn't explain it. We can argue that crab regs (commercial and/or rec) should further reduce allowable catch, but catch allotments have been restricted somewhat, so catch doesn't explain the decline. That leaves Blue Cats as a prime suspect, I'd think.

Reactions: UncleRob

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
Fresh water lakes are looking better and better..........Gary
No commercial fishing .
Has any study been done on Blue Cat predation of Blue Crabs in the Chesapeake? The notion that Rockfish eat all the crabs has been debunked. And in any event, Rockfish populations are down. Water quality since 2008 has fluctuated, but has mostly trended slightly better, so that doesn't explain it. We can argue that crab regs (commercial and/or rec) should further reduce allowable catch, but catch allotments have been restricted somewhat, so catch doesn't explain the decline. That leaves Blue Cats as a prime suspect, I'd think.
I think it must be Blue Cats and Snakeheads People don't eat that many.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maryland has a very valuable resource in the Maryland Blue crab. Out of state rec account for a sizeable amount removed from the population, but are not charged accordingly. You look out west at valuable big game. High charges, restrictions on license. Maryland needs to get with the game with the low rent open gate policy that has been going on for far to long. We need to have higher restricting on out of state. Boat ramps are usually 50 percent out of state just about anywhere I launch.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Maryland has a very valuable resource in the Maryland Blue crab. Out of state rec account for a sizeable amount removed from the population, but are not charged accordingly. You look out west at valuable big game. High charges, restrictions on license. Maryland needs to get with the game with the low rent open gate policy that has been going on for far to long. We need to have higher restricting on out of state. Boat ramps are usually 50 percent out of state just about anywhere I launch.
That's a stretch...

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
A MD recreational crabbing license is $5.00.
An out of State is $10.00
I just got an out of State PA freshwater fishing license $52.00. I see a ton of PA and DL crabbers in MD ramps. If crabbing is that bad, they should not even sell out of State licenses. Look out for Marylanders who are paying all the taxes...........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
605 Posts
That's a stretch...
Try getting a parking spot at Taylor's Island in the summer time. It's nothing but Pa registered boats all weekend long.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The RINO Guv. reached way down in DNR, beyond the normal partisan firings, and let Brenda go after the good ole boys down on the shore squawked to him about her proposal to increase minimum size limits for conservation purposes.

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
The difference is because we have 2 different licenses. A fresh water license and a tidal water license. If they buy a freshwater license it is reciprocal to the price of a non resident license that they would charge us from their state . It should be for either license that a non resident buys.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts