Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I went out on the Pax Saturday morning. Set up and were ready for the duck. A crabber decided to lay his trot line down in front of our deke spread. I yelled at the guy but he didn't care. We would have moved except the only open public blind has had a pound net attached to it.

A pretty morning but no ducks with a crabber going up and down in front of the spread.

·
Banned
859 Posts
nalley is correct. He's breaking the law. Infact, if you were there before sunrise, which I suspect you were, he's interfering with a lawful hunt. You should have mistaken his float for a cripp.[smile]

·
Registered
621 Posts
Can someone further explain how the crabber was breaking the law?

How is he interfering with a lawful hunt? Would there be a need to show intent?

Would boat traffic on a river, etc. fall into this same category and be subject to the same interference and 500 foot distance?

Just my thoughts
Mark

·
Banned
859 Posts
Well, for starters...in that picture the sun hasn't even rose yet, which means, even if commercial, he was crabbing before legal start time. If he came there after and set his line in the guys decoys, he's interfering with a lawful hunt. If the site is licensed, he's trespassing, if it's a state blind, hunting has presidence...The blinds are mandated as such, and permission is granted by the state to the public hunter using the blind that it will be hunted un-interupted on, in and from state owned land and sanctioned waters.

........and besides, if you know Nalley, what he says goes!!!

Statue......10-403. f.y.i.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
TS.

I am a commercially licensed crabber as well as an avid duck hunter, and this guy was absolutely outside of the law. However that is a big problem with the early one week woody season. I actually set up in front of some goose hunters one time during the September goose season. Let me tell you 3000' of trotline is a pain in the arse to pull in by hand, but I gladly did, to not interfere with their hunt. I can move my boat, they cannot move their blind.

It's simple courtesy. And that seems to be lost more and more on the water these days.

·
Banned
859 Posts
That stat. may be wrong. I'm in the process of finding the correct one, but I assure it is the law. I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I bet the guy did not see or hear you. Should have let off a few volleys in the air and he would have left. Had a kayaker, birdwatcher, paddle around last weekend looking at the decoys until he realized he was near some guys with guns and he took off.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Here ya go, courtesy of the Mayor.....

§ 4-512.
During the open season for migratory waterfowl, a person may not fish by any means within 500 yards of any stationary blind or blind site which is occupied and is being used for hunting migratory waterfowl.

......I will admit, 500yds seems a bit excessive!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can tell from the pic, it was before sunrise. The camera flash was going off and you could see the crabber turn to look at the blind. I'm concerned that DNR would license a pound net and let the waterman use the blind as a corner post. But when you hire a waterman for DNR upper management, what can you expect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts