Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I got on the Paxtuxent at 7:00 AM with 30 topless traps baited with chicken necks. We we working in 4' - 6'. We caught a total of 54 crabs, generally pretty good size and reasonably heavy. We had caught of the incoming tide which ran till 10 AM. By that time we had about 30 crabs in the basket and I thought that was going to be the end of it. Not so, we kept pulling in a few more crabs on each run and we were happy to pack it in around noon or so.

As we crabbed we caught about eight doublers, many small females early in the day and then started catching big sooks closer to noon. Many smaller jimmies were caught throughout the morning.

This was my first time on the Pax. We usually go to the Wye (out of habit) but reports have been bad. A friend of mine caught only two crabs with traps last Sunday. It was good to have a change of scenery.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Great report, thanks for posting!

The Pax has some high quality crabs--while the size may not match the Wye crabs, they are often better quality overall with plenty of solid #1s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What area of the Pax did you guys crab? I grew up crabbing the Pax, and when I got back into crabbing 4 years ago, we crabbed down there both below and above the Beniddict bridge but haven't been back in two years due to bad reports and crowded waters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts