Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23 ft Walkaround and would like to get some traps over the winter if it was worthwhile at some of the fishing shows for next season. I could possibly go in as shallow as 2-3 ft if I kick up the engine. I keep my boat at Herrington Harbour South and was wondering about good locations nearby? I would think the mouth of the creek going into Deale would be good or possibly run over to Tilgman Island area if not too rough out, or possibly run to the back of Poplar Island? -or maybe run all the way to West River. I would prefer to go somewhere closeby less than 20 minutes from the dock but that may be difficult. I read a lot of reports of people going to Wye River, and Pax river, but not too many near where I am in Chesapeake Beach. I have a 4 year old that would love to pull traps and possibly handline but I don't have a trailer so can't bring the boat to some of the more popular rivers. Has anyone tried in Herring Bay with any success? Any suggestions? Also when is best time of year to start --June, July? Thanks in advance. -Andy

·
Premium Member
26,230 Posts
I see alot of recs crabbing just inside the breakwater at Deale.Anywhere you see the comm. pots is a good spot to try.

Rec. traps will work in the main bay - you can go as deep as 25 feet if you want.Most bay crabbers tend to stay in 3-12 feet, near shore in summer.

The better male crabs are often found in the rivers/creeks.One reason so many crab pots are right at the mouth of most rivers.The guys risk losing pots for the chance at the better crabs.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Plenty of crabs in Rockhold Creek, Herring Bay, Parker creek (shallow), Carr's Creek (very shallow), and all along the shoreline all the way the the West River.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Q I have a 4 year old that would love to pull traps and possibly handline, Q --Be Careful not to crab Near the Entrences of H H So. or Rockhold Creek ---Wakes by large Craft Dangerous --PM me & i will put you in touch with Experianced Crabber whom can direct you to one gallon, crabbing, fishing & slips you & your son can afford --

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Plenty of crabs in Rockhold Creek, Herring Bay, Parker creek (shallow), Carr's Creek (very shallow), and all along the shoreline all the way the the West River.
Plenty of good crabbing up inside West River also, a short run from Deale on a decent day. Rhode River off West River is good also but alot of boat traffic on weekends. Be careful around the entrances to Rockhold Creek and Herington - South due to the weekend traffic during the week not as bad.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Go inside the jetty at the entrance to Rockhold Creek. On the east side there is a small cove you can put in traps and it won't be too rough for your 4 year old.

Bob

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys for all the responses. I will definitely give it a try next year. I will probably see some of you at the winter fishing shows --Tri-state and Upper Marlboro one at Showplace in Jan. Thanks -Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts