Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crabbing Jack is addicted to crabbing. He's 13 and just can't do it enough.

He got up yesterday at 4:45 left the dock with his dad at 5:30. The river was loaded with crabbers so the spots he likes were already taken by liners. They found a new spot to crab.

He got a bushel of nice crabs but it was a tough go. The wind picked up making it tougher. The direction of the trot line coupled by the direction of the wind made it difficult to maintain a slow speed when pulling the line. And if they pulled from the other end they got soaked. They got back to the ramp around 1. Luckily the quality of the crabs was very good.

After the boat was hauled Jack hand lined for a couple of more hours off of the pier. Is that dedicated, or what?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Yes! The love and lore of the water, gotta love it! I have always been the same way as long as i could remember and my grand sons (5) are doing the same thing enjoy while we/he they can.....

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Crabbing Jack is addicted to crabbing. He's 13 and just can't do it enough.

He got up yesterday at 4:45 left the dock with his dad at 5:30. The river was loaded with crabbers so the spots he likes were already taken by liners. They found a new spot to crab.

He got a bushel of nice crabs but it was a tough go. The wind picked up making it tougher. The direction of the trot line coupled by the direction of the wind made it difficult to maintain a slow speed when pulling the line. And if they pulled from the other end they got soaked. They got back to the ramp around 1. Luckily the quality of the crabs was very good.

After the boat was hauled Jack hand lined for a couple of more hours off of the pier. Is that dedicated, or what?
Must be nice to have all that energy!....... Gary

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's great for crabbing jack. I was always on the local lake and streams all summer long as a kid, but those are nothing compared to the bay. It's got to be great being able to grow up there crabbing and fishing. Little man is definitely addicted.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went yesterday and it was litterally terrible. There were more crabbers on the river then I have ever seen. We wound up laying the line east of Hillsmere. Tried three different lays and never caught more then eight crabs per run. Most crabs were very small. In fact. Jack had better luck with hand lines Thursday afternoon off the pier
And then he caught 14 keepers hand lining after we goy back from the trot lining tip yesterday. So it appears the crabbing is better up the river as opposed to the mouth.

I would not bother to crab this river on Fri. Sat. Or Sun. right now. There are just to many crabbers hitting the river on those days. Most are recs with trot lines and traps. The trap guys are setting them 30 ft apart x 30 and that is 900 fifth of prime crabbing area. And this begins at the Riva bridge and goes to Turkey Pt. and of course the comms set over 200 ft of line.
What bothered me was the lack of crabs both short and legal we caught.

Jack is going to camp for a week starting tomorrow so I just wanted to get him out once before he went away.
M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts