Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far back as I can remember, crabmeat was sold as either Backfin, Claw, or Special, which was the body meat except for the backfin. Nowadays all I see is Backfin, Lump, or claw.....what happens with the rest of the body meat?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
My guess is thrown out! Going for weight to much time to pick the other meat, yet another waste most likely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Probably the Asian Swimmer crab meat. It has bigger lump than the blue and makes a nice presentation in a crab cake, but tastewise it should only be used in soups.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Backfin-the walking leg (channel meat) and top shell compartments
Lump- the meat in the swimming fin
Claw-the 2 claw compartments
That's it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know I watched a Dirty Jobs episode filmed in MD where they were picking crabs commercially. All the "waste" meat and "stuff" was ground up into paste for flavoring for cooking.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Backfin-the walking leg (channel meat) and top shell compartments
Lump- the meat in the swimming fin
Claw-the 2 claw compartments
That's it!
That's pretty much what I figured....What used to be called "Backfin" is now called "Lump" and what used to be called "Special" is now sold as "Backfin".

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Probably the Asian Swimmer crab meat. It has bigger lump than the blue and makes a nice presentation in a crab cake, but tastewise it should only be used in soups.
I disagree on the taste analyst, several of the top crab cake restaurants in the Baltimore area that are noted in several publications as Baltimore's best use Asian crab meat.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
I disagree on the taste analyst, several of the top crab cake restaurants in the Baltimore area that are noted in several publications as Baltimore's best use Asian crab meat.
The most important ingredient in a great crab cake is MD crab meat. I like mine spicey!............. Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Asian super lump crab meat made into crab cakes takes a great photo, but the meat is unsurpassed for its bland taste. If you pick your own crab meat, do a blind taste test, it wont even be close.

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Asian and Venezuelan crab meat is tasteless. I got a seafood platter the other night and the crab cake was Asian crab and it SUCKED! NO comparison to MD crab cake and doesn't even look like MD crab meat...............Gary

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sad fact is that few food critics and 95% of the public have a clue what good crabmeat tastes like. I always get a good laugh when I read an article about the "best crabcakes". It used to be that a good crabcake was based on fresh picked MD crabmeat and simple ingredients that complimented the crabmeat. Not anymore, most restauraunts besides using an imported product, throw extra ingredients into the mix that all but hide the true subtle flavors of a crabcake. But when you start out with non md crabmeat its only downhill from their. I rarely ever buy crabcakes out anymore because its so disappointing. Now homemade cakes picked from a fresh batch of self caught crabs is a different story.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The sad fact is the Chesapeake can no longer supply the market, not just from lower catches but due to a greatly expanding market. I recently seen Md. crab cakes on a Chicago menu. I would doubt they are blue crab but then again they were close to $30. Several local restaurants advertise they ship crab cakes world wide and have web sites promoting the same. While soft crabs are now considered a delicacy in many cities that in fairly recent years had never seen a crab.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would say it's how you use it. If you are frying your crab cakes--there is probably not that much of a difference in taste. At least, not that much to start an argument over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have eaten King crab, snow crab, Asian swimmer crab, stone crab, Dungeness crab, blue crab, and while in Singapore I ate a dish called chili crab, which is made from the mud crab. And no matter how they were prepared, they all had a distinct taste and texture.
I would put the Asian swimmer crab at the bottom of the list.
The Venezuelan crab meat is better, since it hasn't been as processed as the Asian crabmeat. However, it too, has the drawback that it doesn't have the climate that fattens up and flavors a crab, like the colder waters of North American bays.
If you buy crabmeat in a store, make sure its in a plastic container which usually indicates that it is fresh picked and has never been frozen.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The most important ingredient in a great crab cake is MD crab meat. I like mine spicey!............. Gary
Gary...Any particular crab cake recipe you prefer? We have a dozen crabs leftover from a half bushel this weekend and my kids want me to make crab cakes with the leftover meat. I'm looking for a good Maryland crab cake recipe....

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Gary...Any particular crab cake recipe you prefer? We have a dozen crabs leftover from a half bushel this weekend and my kids want me to make crab cakes with the leftover meat. I'm looking for a good Maryland crab cake recipe....
1 pound crab meat
1 egg
1/4 cup mayo
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Worchestershire
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp Old Bay
1 tsp pepper

Can't go wrong with this recipe. Only 8 ingredients but most important is fresh MD crab. Enjoy and let me know how it tastes.....Gary

·
Registered
579 Posts
So here is an interesting question: Do you think MD crab tastes as good as it once did? Does it taste the same as it did 30 years ago? Just curious as to what other folks think. There is a lot about MD that is not near as good as it used to be. We know the bay water quality is not what it used to be, could that effect the taste of blue crab. Do we say MD crab is the best just because we are marylanders?

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
So here is an interesting question: Do you think MD crab tastes as good as it once did? Does it taste the same as it did 30 years ago? Just curious as to what other folks think. There is a lot about MD that is not near as good as it used to be. We know the bay water quality is not what it used to be, could that effect the taste of blue crab. Do we say MD crab is the best just because we are marylanders?
I have been eating crabs for at least 55 years but I can't remember yesterday! They might not be as good as the late 50's but still taste much better than Asian or Venezuelan crab. VA crab meat is good too..........Gary

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Nothing comes close to the taste of a true Maryland crab, or crab cake made from Maryland crabs. Problem is we've mostly been brain washed by the people selling crab cakes, and the mid-western critics who claim the imitations are the best.........sorry, not even close IMHO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts