Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,
Sitting here in Chincoteague eating some of the finest oysters in the world. Quite a few contain small crabs. Small (1/2"), live, soft, transparent with red internal organs visible. Sort of look like ticks. We've seen them before and picked them out but thought we'd check here since I just ate one.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
They are extremely poisonous and you are going to die. Get help NOW:eek2:doh:hysterical: I have seen them in oysters and clams. I guess they like crabs too. I just pick them out but no harm in eating them. YUK............Gary

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Hers some info. You'll be fine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_crab

Oyster crab
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Oyster crab

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Subphylum: Crustacea
Class: Malacostraca
Order: Decapoda
Infraorder: Brachyura
Family: Pinnotheridae
Genus: Zaops
Species: Z. ostreus
Binomial name
Zaops ostreus
(Say, 1817) [1][2]
Synonyms
Pinnotheres ostreum Say, 1817

The oyster crab, Zaops ostreus, is a small, whitish or translucent crab in the family Pinnotheridae. It is less than half an inch across, and lives inside the gills of an oyster or a clam.[3] It uses the oyster for protection and lives on the food that the oyster gets for itself. It is found in oysters in the North Atlantic Ocean.[3] The crabs are eaten as a delicacy.[4]

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've eaten them raw since I was a kid. They don't have much taste, but they certainly won't hurt ya.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Something is just not right is it?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I found with those 1/2 inch oyster crabs that it takes a heckuva long time to get a bushel. Instead of a snood-line, I use a spool of thread and bait it with fleas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts