Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw crabs swiming on the surface in EB today. Quite a few actually. Appeared to be doublers. Couple questions: 1. I've never actually seen that before. Does it happen regularly?
2. Is it legal to catch them releasing the female and harvesting the male?

Thanks for any info. I thought it was wild thing to see.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes it happens every year about this time. They are mating. You can just dip them and it is legal. Although it does inturupt them .

When we were kids we had enough crabs in the EB that we would just cruise around in runabouts dipping them up. Nice to see them this year.

Ted

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
Only in September up here in the northern bay. They have been swimming on the surface all summer at the CBBT from June till fall in the lower bay . It wasn't uncommon to dip 1/2-1bu. years ago 70s/80s up here. You could still do it all summer in the lower bay. It certainly takes all the hassle out of crabbing the hard way with traps and trotlines. All you need is a skiff and a dip net. It's sight dipping for crabs. Enjoy it, you only have a few weeks up here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, thanks. I was down the cbbt at the end of july and saw a bunch of sponge crabs swimming. It appears that they couldn't sound because of their sponge. You hit them with the boat (not on purpose) and they wouldn't/couldn't go down. No Males to be seen however.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
cool, thanks. I was down the cbbt at the end of july and saw a bunch of sponge crabs swimming. It appears that they couldn't sound because of their sponge. You hit them with the boat (not on purpose) and they wouldn't/couldn't go down. No Males to be seen however.
I fish the mouth of York to CBBT and have seen more sponge crab on top this yr than in a very long time! I was surprised cobia were not eating all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts