Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been crabbing a bit at the request of the wife and have been doing pretty well. 3 evenings this week we have gone out caught a dozen or so within and hour before they just turned off on us. Have only pulled in two undersized crabs, all are have been nice and heavy. Brought in this monster a little over 8 inches last night. Sat it on top of a standard 8.5x11 piece of printer paper for reference. He was tasty!

crabzilla.jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the picture of the monster but it's hard to find a good place now. Now it going to be impossible :) my sons ben out and had some nice crabs to

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Nice crab. Thanks for the report.

BTW, the comments about not finding a spot to crab makes me think that the rec crab rules need some serious adjusting. I tried to take my son a couple years ago and could not find any point or flat in RB not already occupied by dozens of traps or trotlines hundreds of feet long. 2-3 recs can essentially claim an entire shoreline. I admittedly do not know much about crabbing, but the rec rules now seem designed to favor quasi-commercial/subsistence crabbing over the ordinary Joe who would just like have his kids experience catching a dozen as part of a special, occasional crab meal.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Nice crab. Thanks for the report.

BTW, the comments about not finding a spot to crab makes me think that the rec crab rules need some serious adjusting. I tried to take my son a couple years ago and could not find any point or flat in RB not already occupied by dozens of traps or trotlines hundreds of feet long. 2-3 recs can essentially claim an entire shoreline. I admittedly do not know much about crabbing, but the rec rules now seem designed to favor quasi-commercial/subsistence crabbing over the ordinary Joe who would just like have his kids experience catching a dozen as part of a special, occasional crab meal.
Good luck with changing those rules, LOL. Think you have it better then you realize, find a spot at the mouth of a creek if using handlines. Good chance you find some crabs there. Trot liners are limited because of length of their lines. Try just 300 ft and get close to shore where bigger boats can't go. Just remember the rule that says you need to be a certain distance from others line or traps. I drop at a small creek north of bridge and catch enough for wife and I. No one even crabs there most of the time. Weekdays are better, less traffic and other rec crabbers.

Change those rules, good luck with that, SMH.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Good luck with changing those rules, LOL. Think you have it better then you realize, find a spot at the mouth of a creek if using handlines. Good chance you find some crabs there. Trot liners are limited because of length of their lines. Try just 300 ft and get close to shore where bigger boats can't go. Just remember the rule that says you need to be a certain distance from others line or traps. I drop at a small creek north of bridge and catch enough for wife and I. No one even crabs there most of the time. Weekdays are better, less traffic and other rec crabbers.

Change those rules, good luck with that, SMH.
Yeah, I don't crab enough to actually go on a rule-changing campaign. It's just an off-the-cuff remark at how the rules seem pretty disconnected from recreational crabbing and how a relatively small number of folks can lay claim to a huge amount of prime crabbing real estate. Seems like a lot of the banter on the crabbing board is about territorial disputes. No thanks.:)) I think the way you suggest is the most enjoyable way to go.

·
Premium Member
26,172 Posts
Goose - I'd love to see DNR go back to a 300 foot limit for recs. - plus put a 1,000 foot limit for comm.

Some comm. in river run 2,400 ( yes almost 1/2 mile ) lines. You need binoculars to see the other jug to figure out where line is laid.

I'm amazed there are any crabs left - as heavily pressured as it is right now. Bay is full of pots and rivers hit hard by traps and trot lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts