Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Ann was in town and wanted to go after Rock - I had to tell her bad news. She said OK , just being out on water is fun. Her son Pierce and his friend Charlie came along. We agreed to meet at Sandy Point around 7 am. Drive down was easy until just over Rt 50 Severn river bridge. 8 foot ladder lying in middle lane. Car swerved hard to avoid it - nearly clipping my front end. No shoulder in that spot. I called 911 to report it - dispatcher thanked me and said others had called too. I stopped in at Anglers about 6:30 am and was surprised they had jumbo bloodworms.

May be an image of crustacean

Got to Sandy Point gate and one car in front of me. Guy took about 10 minutes to figure out the way to pay. I was laughing - he was about 2 feet away and stretching out side window. I shake my head at how some folks get a driver's license. 10 second swipe of my pass and I was in the park.

Only few other trailers there and I launched and got rods racked. Wanted to go after grass shrimp but saw a guy who is always there in morning. He must be selling the shrimp since he works every pier and looks to fill about a 1/2 gallon bucket. No law against it but be cool if he would leave some.

Ann and Pierce pulled up at 7 am - right on time. I had to laugh as they introduced me to Charlie - he was yoyo at the gate. He apologized for holding me up.

Went over quick safety gear locations on boat and headed out. Flat calm and we went after a few Spot for Perch baits. I know Ann can fish and Pierce and Charlie but said they could. Not sure why I did not believe Charlie - maybe upside down spinning reel was a clue.With fresh bloods - hits were fast. Few Spot were about 8 almost 9 inchers, live liner in me was crying.

We then went to bridge and tried a few areas but only got few tiny Croakers. Current was weak so ran south to Hackets. Found nice out going as a gentle breeze from north started. Drifting along - we got a bunch of 6-8 inch Perch. Moved around but no bigger ones. Pierce says - I'm snagged , I see line going to surface and had Ann and Charlie reel in fast. Sure enough - a cownose Ray. Pierce did OK fighting it - had to chase it with boat. Got it close and gaffed it for them to snap photos - water flying everywhere.

Saw 5-6 boats by Tollys bar and figured since only about 30 boats out - had to be something going on. Ran down and saw most drifting - catching small Spot that were being tossed back. Moved around the bar - it goes from 8 to 20 in about 50 feet. Plenty of Perch but again all under 9 inches. Charlie was having trouble grasping the idea of drift fishing - must have tangled Ann or Pierce 5-6 times.

Charlie asked if we could keep the Perch - I said -sure. He thought my 10 inch mark on cooler was DNR rule - I explained just my personal size limit. We dropped in a bunch of 8-9 inchers and then ran over to east side.

Was able to anchor in shade of bridge. Bites were much slower but some Perch were almost 10 to 10 1/2 inches. Charlie says - I'm snagged , I feared another Ray - until I saw line going up to under side of bridge. How do you get hung up 20 feet off water when we were fishing straight down ? Oh well , bridge workers will have a laugh when they find bottom rig. We picked away until about noon - current stopped so we ran in. Charlie took the Perch home whole - cool , meant I did not have to clean fish. Gave Ann a rain check for Rock next time she is around.

Got boat on trailer and headed home - easy going around 1 pm. Almost to the Rt 32 exit off I97 and saw scrap 2x4's in road. Looked pointed like concrete crew uses for framing. Dodged them with truck but hit one with front trailer tire. Heard the BOOM as tire blew open and saw fender out to side , ripped off by flying tread.

May be an image of outdoors

Hit 4 ways on and eased to shoulder going about 300 feet to wide area since it was drivers side. Hardly had trailer jacked up when friend stopped - he saw me from south bound and looped around 178 to help me. Quick work and soon spare was on and 5 miles to home.

Good luck in a way - I've been wanting to replace that 9 year old fender but stores around here are waiting on back order parts. If new one was on - likely damaged by tread. Went and got new tire - taking off the spare and putting new one on trailer. Spare is 7 years old and fine to limp home but not for everyday trailering. Had to run up to Delaware this morning to get new fender. The EZ loader place in Deale closed - which stinks. They had in stock but shipping was $196.00 and maybe Monday earliest delivery. Crazy - more than the part.

No photo description available.

Hope to get back out tomorrow - likely fish alone. Need a easy day after Charlie.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tire and fender Skip. It's funny how much stuff falls off the back of the work trucks going down the road. Could have been much worse had it come up and hit the boat.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I lived in Fla. a pick up dodged a ladder on the Buckman Bridge and went off the bridge. Driver and passenger died.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I’ve noticed over the years, when trying to take someone out either duck hunting or fishing, it never works out in my favor and something happens at my expense. Now I go when I can, I don’t rush, and I don’t go when it just isn’t working. Charlie isn’t paying for that tire or inconvenience. Nice report. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Skip, With all the people you take fishing on your boat, you should be numb to all of it. That day when I brought the Mayor fishing was a prime example. That's why I could never be a charter captain. Hey at least they weren't drinking. Glad it all worked out in the end. There's something to be said for fishing solo!......... Gary

·
Registered
255 Posts
yep!

When you see that, it just takes a split second to know what you're dealing with. Then again, it gives you a chance to teach someone something they didn't know. Skip is good at that.(y)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Skip,
I took a Charlie from this post out several years ago. Not going to mention his site name. We had a tough time catching fish that day when he was on board. My buddy and I named him GOOD LUCK CHUCK. We had a great time that day and looking forward to hooking up with him again.

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the fishing report Skip. Glad Chuck didn't earn the name "Up Chuck".

Regards to the fender. I've seen similar ones in our local TSC stores. Hopefully you will never need another.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Skip,
I took a Charlie from this post out several years ago. Not going to mention his site name. We had a tough time catching fish that day when he was on board. My buddy and I named him GOOD LUCK CHUCK. We had a great time that day and looking forward to hooking up with him again.

Mike
Was that guy holding his reels upside down?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts