Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We launched in a mid bay Eastern Shore creek and went to favorite crabbing spot on Monday.. NO ONE was there. Might sound good but I knew what was up. We got a little more than a bushel there Thursday and friend told me to get back down Friday cause is on fire. Well I had to work Friday and Saturday and went to an oyster roast on Sunday. I heard it was packed with commercial and recreational boats all weekend. Loose lips sinks ships and depletes the crabs. Still got 25 for a nice dinner and some real hammers........ Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Yep, loos lips will burn your area fishing or crabbing. Are you still going to crab or are you done for the year. You sure had a good crabbing year. I bet there is a story about that crab knife. Looks like the ones they were selling in Crisfield Md.at their big crab feast.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crabbing spot Gary. One of the nice things about me having a 19' skiff is the bigger boats can't do what I do. I can sit in 3 inches of water over rocks, they can't. I can go in and get my lure back off the shoreline if it gets hung up, they can't. I can put the trolling motor down and buzz the shoreline, they can't.
I hope your spot fills back in so you can get your crabs until your season is done.

Mike

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, loos lips will burn your area fishing or crabbing. Are you still going to crab or are you done for the year. You sure had a good crabbing year. I bet there is a story about that crab knife. Looks like the ones they were selling in Crisfield Md.at their big crab feast.
Andy, I bought that knife from Carval Hall in Chrisfield about 50 years ago......... Gary

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crabbing spot Gary. One of the nice things about me having a 19' skiff is the bigger boats can't do what I do. I can sit in 3 inches of water over rocks, they can't. I can go in and get my lure back off the shoreline if it gets hung up, they can't. I can put the trolling motor down and buzz the shoreline, they can't.
I hope your spot fills back in so you can get your crabs until your season is done.

Mike
I heard it was packed with commercial and recreational boats all weekend. Loose lips sinks ships and depletes the crabs. Still got 25 for a nice dinner and some real hammers........ Gary
hat's my take on it
The same happened in the Patapsco . Everyone was getting 1-2 bu. of nice crabs then the Coms. started hitting all the creeks hard and cleaned it out . I'm going tomorrow , Thursday, and see if the same thing happened in the river I'm crabbing in. I only crab during the week and prefer to wait until Thursday to give the river time to reload with crabs from the weekend crabbers . After Thursday it starts getting busy again for the week and before that ,less time enough time or it to reload . That's my opinion. There's more and more crabbers every year since the limit on Stripers went down to 1.. If you're not able to go whenever you want it gets crowded and the crabs can get thinned out quick .

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Years ago all we had to do was rig up some hand lines with chicken necks or white perch and let the kids fill our live box with nice Chester River crabs from the pier. I can still hear the kids yelling CRAB ALERT when the line would start moving out. What great times back then.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a great year Andy and I'm not giving up. We still got 2 dozen jumbos and that made a great meal for the two of us. I'll just have to look around but I am limited without a depth finder. New one coming on Black Friday............Gary

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same happened in the Patapsco . Everyone was getting 1-2 bu. of nice crabs then the Coms. started hitting all the creeks hard and cleaned it out . I'm going tomorrow , Thursday, and see if the same thing happened in the river I'm crabbing in. I only crab during the week and prefer to wait until Thursday to give the river time to reload with crabs from the weekend crabbers . After Thursday it starts getting busy again for the week and before that ,less time enough time or it to reload . That's my opinion. There's more and more crabbers every year since the limit on Stripers went down to 1.. If you're not able to go whenever you want it gets crowded and the crabs can get thinned out quick .
I usually go on Thursdays as well but my buddy could only go Monday. I never crab or fish on a weekend. It's not hard to crab out a creek especially with a few commercial boats getting 6-10 bushels each.......... Gary

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I usually go on Thursdays as well but my buddy could only go Monday. I never crab or fish on a weekend. It's not hard to crab out a creek especially with a few commercial boats getting 6-10 bushels each.......... Gary
That's for sure .

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gary,
I went to a certain creek off of the Narrows on Sunday. We caught our 2 dozen nice crabs in a short time and went home to enjoy them. I did notice that there were crabbers everywhere.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary,
I went to a certain creek off of the Narrows on Sunday. We caught our 2 dozen nice crabs in a short time and went home to enjoy them. I did notice that there were crabbers everywhere.
Once the word gets out, you better get there quick or it will be void of crabs. I live over an hour away from the water so I like to get a bushel but 2 dozen makes me happy too....... Gary

·
Registered
880 Posts
Capt.Nick
I'm in the Ptap on weekends and usually ask the crabbers how they're doing. Since you only crab during the week I probably have not rolled up on you. If you want you can pm me and I may be able to give you where I have seen them catching.

Mike

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Capt.Nick, aren't you a commercial Crabber? I think you said you were.
Yes I have a commercial license. I don't sell crabs. I have only had to crab under recreational gear this year . I kept my license and have 50 crab pots to use later in the season, if the rivers are no longer producing . I still may put some pots out in November if there are some good crabs still around . They move back into the Bay into deeper water for a month or so before heading south or burying in for the winter. I only catch enough for personal consumption.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Capt.Nick
I'm in the Ptap on weekends and usually ask the crabbers how they're doing. Since you only crab during the week I probably have not rolled up on you. If you want you can pm me and I may be able to give you where I have seen them catching.

Mike
I haven't been crabbing that far down the Bay yet. I have a crabbing skiff that I keep home on trailer on the GP and a 20ft. CC I keep on the Patapsco on Jones creek. If I put pots in I'll use the Patapsco boat to run south to the BB in deeper water until Dec. If I decide to . I trotline from the Patapsco up to Bush river, depending on the best bite at the time. I can run pots from the BB up to Bush river depending on the bite and if or when I need to.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thing about the patapsco, we have a local population that digs in the shipping channel for the winter and usually the nice was that show up early in the spring until they crabbed out. If they dredge the shipping channels that winter, it wipes them out and you have to wait the migrators. If I cross the key bridge and see a dredge operation, that spring is gonna suck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts