Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I hope everyone had a great holiday and is starting out the New Year on the right foot...either jigging @ CBBT or preparing gear for the spring season:yes: Hope to see some Tfers at the Timonium show this weekend before watching the Ravens take on Titans:clap:

MY QUESTION: Does anyone use / prefer crimps over tying knots. I'm redoing my leaders within the next few days and have crimps for 60lb and 80lb mono. I feel that I can whip up my leaders way faster using the crimps but can I trust them? Are they stronger than my clinch knot when tied properly? I like 60lb on my planner lines and 80lb for my umbrella rigs with inline weight. Thanks for the insight.

Dave

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Has anyone ever had a crimp fail? How often should they be changed out? Looks like 2 votes crimp 1 vote knot - thanks guys
I tie most everything up to 60lb . Heavier than that I crimp . Crimp fail ? I can't remember one failing . When rigging most offshore stuff , you have to crimp beacause of the large line diameter . If done correctly you shouldn't have any problems . As far as changing out , just check the total length of leader , including at the crimp, for abrasion . If none is found you should be good to go . These are the crimps I use the most for higher diameter line . Momoi Hi Catch :

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Make that 2 votes for a knot. Never had one fail

I can have the knot tied and back in the water before you can find the crimpers. I also don't like the large profile of the crimp. Good place to gather weed and jellies

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Another vote for crimping anything over 60 lbs. :thumbup:

·
Registered
556 Posts
If using crimps, take a flame to the tag end and "mushroom" it before crimping. This "mushroom" is a larger diameter than the main line and will catch in the crimp should the crimp fail. In other words, the failed crimp won't fail.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If using crimps, take a flame to the tag end and "mushroom" it before crimping. This "mushroom" is a larger diameter than the main line and will catch in the crimp should the crimp fail. In other words, the failed crimp won't fail.
I also crimp- and one piece of advice about using flame- make sure the material is cool prior to drawing it to the crimp... for numerous reasons.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Considering I crimp my offshore baits for the Blue Fin tuna, Id be safe to say a crimp will hold a rockfish!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts