Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have never used Crimper but I would imagine crimping rigs ahead of time would save time. Seems that to tie a knot while on the boat would be faster than gtting out the crimper. Dae uses a crimper at times maybe he will offer some info.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The only time I use a crimper is when I'm tying rigs (i.e. installing the swivel when snelling large hooks, etc.) that I want the lengths to be exactly the same. All leaders up to 100# are hand tied.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I used crimps on some daisy chains I made up a couple of years back. The DS were made up with 80 lb mono. Seemed to work A-OK. Crimping is an art. Too little pressure and they let loose, and too much creases the mono and weakens it to the point that if there is a break, it will be at the crimp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am very proficient in tying rigs and snelling hooks. All the above replies are excelent. This is not an axium persay, but if you can avoid an extra piece of metal with light test up to 50#- do so. If you can avoid a bulky not by crimping a sleeve -do so. Be repleate by going neat. When tying- use a two lupe Improved double clinch not, for light leaders and trolling leaders.

. At about 50# test go to a simple clinch not; or better yet ,I use the double lupe trieleane not- just make an extra lupe threw the eye and go do your 5 to 7 clinch twists and go back threw the double lupe at the eye--pull tight. If you something dosn't go well - cirmp it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing after making tandems last night. Went out adn looked at crimping tools but not much of a selection at BW, and its confusing of what sizes to use. I'll probably try to find one and start practicing, I think it would be alot easier and quicker and maybe even more secure for prerigging once you get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I bought a crimper yesterday at All Tackle, they had some that seem heavy duty and easier to use than others I have looked at. My sons plan to make some daisy chains and wanted to try one for that purpose.

Dave

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Maybe a tip for someone making daisy chains. Measure where you want your teasers and mark the line with a marker ahead of time. When your putting everything together when your ready to crimp put it on the marked line and crimp it. This works good for making multiple rigs. I hope I explained it so its understandable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used crimps on 80lb leader for 7 years now.I use them on my double buck tails and my umbrella rigs and have never had any problems.I have had some swivels fail.I replace my leaders once a fishing season. I hope this helps.

Knottfishin

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
If possible try to keep the crimps and hand tool from the same mfg. jinkai makes some good ones. Go ahead and spend the 35.00-60.00 for the tool. Its worth it if you are going to start rigging this way.

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
I tie knots and also crimp some rigs-good to know how to do both.FYI: with crimps you'll have a loop that can wear thin after alot of trolling or a big fish.Make sure to inspect the loop and cut it off/re crimp if it shows any wear at all.Crimps are cheap compared to losing a $$ lure or big fish. Skip

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the tips, the site on crimping was informative and sailfish`s tip on checking your loops for wear is a must. I always crimp on my spoons along with the rest of my lures and I use the double sleeves and at least 50# floro. To answer the ? on my screen name is yes the chugbug plug is my favorite topwater for stripers hands down. Tight lines and cold beer!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I use 80# mono on my daisy chains and crimp everything. As an added precaution I use a soldering iron to slightly mushroom the tag end. If for some reason the crimp slips the mushroomed end will not pass through it. I'm not into trolling but when I do I use daisychains rather than a big bulky umbrella rig. Never had a crimp fail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.