Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to put in at the public ramp got there around 10a full wasn't the word for that place. In a frenzy broke out the Chesapeake chart book and found a place little further down the York to put in found some small croakers and a lot of baitfish jumping around. A couple of big splashes around the boat got me worked up and casting hoping to catch a big rock but no luck. On a side note I've never been attacked by gnats and deer flies like we were today but at the ramp and on the water, this is only the second time fishing west point and I'm not sure I'm going back anytime soon. Maybe I'll have to go a bit further north to the potomac or rapp next time

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you are using 64 go past the WP exit to the croaker/norge exits follow signs to the york river state park (croaker landing ) cost seven bucks to launch and park, park attendant on duty and nice bathrooms puts you in the york river right around the bend from west point.Went there today and parking lot was less than a third full with no waiting in or out at the ramps. Did catch about a dozen medium croakers and one small eel :eek2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
How is the ramp at the State Park? Any problem with running out of concrete?

I've been to a few places that gave me trouble with a dual-axle float-on trailer... you run out of concrete before you get backed down far enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have to try that next time. I really liked west point though Mcdonalds and a cheap carwash on the way out I was able to rinse everything off before getting home, oh well . Are the gnats and deer flies always that big of a problem down there?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Garrett's Marina on the Rapp. is a good place to put in, little on the costly side to launch $15.00 but has a good ramp & is really close to some good Croaker fishing. We usually start straight out from the marina around bouy #18 & up to the rock pile. If we don't find them there move down the river & usually find some across the river from the marina in 14 ft. of water.
Haven't been there but once this year, but last year we caught quite a few there when we went. We fish with squid & fishbites in bloodworm scent.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Scott, I have a single axle float on and have never had any ramp issues at the park. There is one however that has some bad lean to it seems like alot of people struggle there if you are faceing the river it's the left side of the double ramp.I like the single ramp on the right :thumbup:, there was alot of sand on the apron saturday but not an issue with 4wd..........Iv'e been to Garretts also ,it's a nice place but those ramps are short and can be a challange during low tide

·
Registered
289 Posts
Scott, I have a single axle float on and have never had any ramp issues at the park. There is one however that has some bad lean to it seems like alot of people struggle there if you are faceing the river it's the left side of the double ramp.I like the single ramp on the right :thumbup:, there was alot of sand on the apron saturday but not an issue with 4wd..........Iv'e been to Garretts also ,it's a nice place but those ramps are short and can be a challange during low tide
Thanks! That's great info - I'll be sure to stick to the single ramp on the right if we ever go down there.

I've had to give up on Garrett's, also. It was really bad the last time I was down there near low tide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts