Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Tuna fishing last weekend out of Oregon Inlet, we decided to deep drop for some tilefish. Much to our surprise, we landed several croakers while tilefishing at 300 feet! Who would have thought? Anyway, that's where they go for winter.

BTW: The tuna fishing was S-L-O-W (just 1) and the tilefishing was not much better. Gulf Stream water temp was 75-79 degrees. There are no guarantees when fishing and these things happen...On a positive note, the tilefish are excellent table fare and a big hit amongst the finicky eaters at our house.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's cool info about the croakers, Dennis. Tilefish food I'd bet.

Check out the EPA site on the tilefish though. They are one of the four fish they say should never be eaten. Like 15 times higher mercury level than stripers (which they say are 2X a week if the fish are small.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
the mercury level on tilefish is only for the ones caught in the gulf of mexico. I did some research on them a while back and the ones in the atlantic are good

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
That's pretty crazy. Sorry the tuna bite sucked but at least you got some nice fish. I heard the guy who you were fishing with has a boat that is a total piece of junk! :D:D

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The blow towards the end of last week f'ed things up. I made it all the way down to Kiptopeake Thursday evening and spoke w/my buddy and we didn't like the winds at 10p. I turned around and drove backwards 3 hrs...suxed. Changes u take I guess.

Regarding the tiles, I'm placing a bet they get eradicated w/in a few yrs as the charters have now taken that as a plan B most days. Very limited habitat and range.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
the mercury level on tilefish is only for the ones caught in the gulf of mexico. I did some research on them a while back and the ones in the atlantic are good
Thanks for the info. Can you forward a link? The EPA site does not distinguish based on where they are caught. It says it's one of the four fish that should not be eaten.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Tilefish are my favorite. If they are Atlantic caught they should be safe. fishhardliveeasy is correct in what he states.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Thanks for sharing the cool info :yes:. I've read Flounder migrate out to the shelf but never knew Croaker went to 50 fathoms.

Shows you never know what you will catch deep dropping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts