Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the James from the MMBT to the Warwick River this weekend, caught several hundred croaker only managed 21 keepers, w/ 5-6 in the 1/2# range... a few small spots, a 16 inch c&r stripped bass weather was nice but stiff NE wind + a 18foot deep V bass boat & we didn't stay long, we did well on the hampton bar, did better of thomas rock shoal, but most of the decent ones were picked up from the pilings of the JRB. Homemade garlic shrimp smoked the bloodworms

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would you share your recipe for the Garlic Shrimp?
Did better with squid strips than shrimp on Sat.....but didn't have garlic shrimp.

Have you tried garlic squid? Wonder if that would work.....

Thanks

By the way - looked on USGS charts - could not spot the Thomas Rock shoal - could you help?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garlic shrimp is easy, 1# bag small sized, raw, unpeeled, tails on, shrimp from walmart, 5$? + 1 large container of walmart brand garlic salt, 3$. Place still frozen shrimp in a container, i prefer a plastic one with a large mouthed screw on lid... empty airsoft bb containers from my 14yr old son are ideal! A gallon bag will suffice in a pinch. Layer the shrimp in the container, with LOTS of garlic salt between layers. Leave overnight minimum in refridge or cooler to saturate the shrimp 2-3 days ahead even better. The salt toughens, or brines the shrimp nicely making it harder to steal, the garlic odor draws them in much quicker than any natural, for us it out performs artificial & bloodworms by a long shot...
I do not imply that you will be catchin reds, blacks, or flounder but my son calls garlic shrimp croaker crack! Spot love em too, small striped bass will readily take it from a mono bottom rig. We tie a single or double, flouro dropper loop rig with the weight at the bottom, never metal rigs... and burn em up. Of course trick is you gotta find the fish in all that water!! I will say this, if the bottom is soft, like your lead plops into the bottom, instead of bounces of oyster shells/hard bottom way may want to relocate, not to say you won't catch em they are usually the smaller ones. Learning to snipe them outta the pilings that's where they are consistently bigger.

Sorry I don't have my chart with me at work today but thomas rock shoal is up river from Huntington park on your way to the Warwick river it happens to have a 2 markers within it, the first is a red triangle with the #2 on it... if your a old school paper map man like myself you should be able to find it. There are some old ruins close by and an abundance of abandoned gear in the area so be cautious

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. Will give it a try!
I know the location - caught some stripers on the west side of channel along the humps just across from red #2 - name of area was not familiar to me. Have to get a set of detailed paper charts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts