Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
As a crappie guide I find this part of the report interesting:

Also, the crappie fishing is very good at St. Mary's Lake where shore fishermen using bits of night crawler under a bobber have caught twenty-plus fish in an afternoon.

The fish are 6 to 10 inches and good table fare.

In the Potomac we rarely catch fish under 10" and most are 12" & 13" !

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
As a crappie guide I find this part of the report interesting:

Also, the crappie fishing is very good at St. Mary's Lake where shore fishermen using bits of night crawler under a bobber have caught twenty-plus fish in an afternoon.

The fish are 6 to 10 inches and good table fare.

In the Potomac we rarely catch fish under 10" and most are 12" & 13" !
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Fish
And some from the Potomac are 15.5".............Gary

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
A bobber and night crawler was all we used in N.Y. where I grew up .I never heard of using minnows for crappie til I moved to Md. as a teenager.Nobody I fished with believed it.
.Sometimes you can teach a new dog old tricks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I can remember catching 30 to 40 crappie in an afternoon using nightcrawlers and a bobber in Lake Needwood when I was a kid. On another note, and on topic, great news about the croakers!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I can remember catching 30 to 40 crappie in an afternoon using nightcrawlers and a bobber in Lake Needwood when I was a kid. On another note, and on topic, great news about the croakers!
That brings back memories. Grew up fishing Needwood and Frank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So since this thread kind of already got hijacked I'll chime in. Talking about memories for you guys, I went through high school and my early 20's living on a farm in western Howard county. The neighboring property had a large farm pond. I consistently could fish this time of year, throwing a 1 ounce kastmaster or a large rattle trap and catch over 16" crappie. Took a few to the Trading Post for citations. Who remembers that place? After about 6 or 7 citations I gave up on driving down there to get more. I know I had caught a few over 18". Haven't fished that place in years now. Maybe time for my son to get in on some of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts