Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting last couple of evenings. Tuesday after work all I wanted to do was NOT watch tv, and I felt too lazy to put the jonboat in. So I ambled on down to the water with four beers and a book... plus rods and bait, of course.

Didn't really expect to do any good because I haven't in this creek up till now -- croaks are a little late. But as the sun went down, a school did pass by. Caught ten, biggest 15.25, none under 13. The 15 was the first of 'em, and I've never been so happy to catch a croaker in my life. It's the first "real" fish I've caught on this creek since buying my new house here -- to me, white perch are bait, and that's all I've been catching so far.

So I was happy, and of course that put me right back down there last evening. Had some bloodworms in addition to squid this time, so at first I was just feeding expensive bait to those danged WP. Then rockfish -- really nice ones, not 18's -- started busting the surface an easy cast out. I couldn't get bloodworms to 'em -- the WP were directly under them in droves and bit before the rock did. OK, fine, cut bait time. Meanwhile a biggun hit a perch that hit a bloodworm and broke me off. Then one broke off with cut bait, then they were gone.

Why all this breaking off? Because of the gear i had. The hooks on my surf rod were way too small; I had just changed to size 1 circles for perch/croaker, on purpose. The other rod was my smallmouth bass rod, because I love catching croakers on bass gear. That's a 2000 series Shimano spooled with 2/10 Spiderwire Stealth. Way undergunned.

Never again will I hit that water without a soft jerkbait on 20 lb line (I prefer Zoom Super Flukes to BA's, but that's just me).

Well, as the sun started to set I settled down to wait on the croaker, and sure enough, they did appear. Nothing noteworthy but I got some. Just before dark, again something big and strong hit that smallmouth rod. This one I landed, after perhaps 20 minutes of doing everything I could to turn the fish first this way then that and keep from getting spooled. It was a cownose ray, and a huge one... I've caught a bunch of them over the years, but this one was by far my biggest. On that dinky, fast-tip bass rod (6' Ugly Stik Lite Pro) it was something, and y'all know even an average cownose pulls pretty hard.

I woulda thought that creek too brackish for rays. Anyway, brought home my croakers and chalked everything up as an interesting experience and a lesson re-learned: always have a rig ready to cast to breaking fish. Sheesh. Thought I learned that many years ago. In my defense I can only say, until this week all of the hours I've spent on the creek were hours before the fish got here, and the night before finally some croaks, so I just wasn't expecting anything.

The fish are here now. And the good Lord said, "Let there be summer."

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I can feel your pain on being under gunned I had one large fish break me off tonight and then two cownose at the same time. Interesting when one rod has line peeling up river and the other has it running down river, I did at least manage to catch a few of the croaker I went after before i was all out of bottom rigs. [grin]

--John

·
Registered
236 Posts
As grubthrower stated at the end of his post "The fish are here now. And the good Lord said, 'Let there be summer.' "
It seems more like "Let there be jet-skies"

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I was inspired by the post. Due to weekend company and a list of honey-dos, I was unable to fish until Mon. night. Went out on my dock and baited up with squid. Caught 5 nice, 12-14" Croaker in about one hour. It was a beautiful, relaxing time. Will be eating them tonight.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Fished the mouth of Broad Creek off Deltaville early Monday AM for about an hour. Kept a dozen croaker, all around 13", released many more. Lots of smallish spot in the mix. Upon return to the slip, my ladyfriend checked the crabpot, telling me about the 2 large crabs and one really strange looking fish in it. Upon investigation, found that the "strange" looking fish was a flounder, about 13"! I passed a really difficult character test and released the very tasty looking flattie.[smile]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry folks, been too busy to hang out on the 'puter lately.

Anyway, the creek I am fishing is Machodoc. I have been out a couple of more times since the original post; half-dozen croakers once and totally skunked the second time.

The water took a huge beating from recreational boaters over the holiday weekend, and now it's T-storm central.

Maybe next week.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
[Q]grubthrower originally wrote:
Sorry folks, been too busy to hang out on the 'puter lately.

Anyway, the creek I am fishing is Machodoc. I have been out a couple of more times since the original post; half-dozen croakers once and totally skunked the second time.

The water took a huge beating from recreational boaters over the holiday weekend, and now it's T-storm central.

Maybe next week.
[/Q]You are right on as to water quality. Two weeks before Mem. Day the water in the Coan was clear and clean. Last weekend you couldn't see 4" below the surface. I don''t know that heavy traffic was the cause but I see no other reason.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We were crabbing this weekend off the dock. I left a couple of chicken necks in the water then my son and I went out later to check on them and pulled up two huge mean turtles. I got one up on the dock for the heck of it although he was makin all kinds of noise.....asked my son if he wanted turtle soup....I didn't think so, so that was a catchnrelease. The other turtle was over two feet long. Watch out if your swimming, you know what Chuck Berry sang about turtle creek!

Here's a couple pics (didn't get one of the turtles though)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts