Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Rep. Jefferson is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation. In August 2005, federal agents searched his home in New Orleans and his home and car in Washington, D.C., as well as the home and office of his campaign accountant in New Orleans. As part of the investigation, the U.S. home of the Vice President of Nigeria also was searched. During the raid on Rep. Jefferson's home, FBI agents apparently found a large amount of cash in his freezer. (D-LA).
2. In 2003, Rep. Blunt divorced his wife of 31 years to marry Philip Morris (now Altria) lobbyist Abigail Perlman. Before it was known publicly that Rep. Blunt and Ms. Perlman were dating – and only hours after Rep. Blunt assumed the role of Majority Whip – he tried to secretly insert a provision into Homeland Security legislation that would have benefitted Philip Morris, at the expense of competitors.

In addition, Rep. Blunt's son Andrew lobbies on behalf of Philip Morris, a major client he picked up only four years out of law school. Notably, Altria is Rep. Blunt's largest campaign contributor, having donated more than $270,000 to political committees tied to him.
3. Rep. Feeney (R-FL) traveled to Scotland – apparently to play golf – from August 9-14, 2003. Rep. Feeney initially claimed that the cost of the trip was paid for by the National Center for Public Policy Research, but the Center denied paying for the trip. As a result, Rep. Feeney now claims to have discovered recently that the $5,643 bill was actually paid by lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
4. Federal law prohibits Members of Congress from soliciting contributions in a manner that directs contributors to mail or deliver a contribution to "any room or building occupied in the discharge of official duties . . ." Violations of this section are subject to fines and up to three years of imprisonment. If, as the evidence suggests, Rep. Musgrave has been soliciting campaign contributions from her district office, she is in violation of this provision. (R-CO)
5. In 2004, the Federal Election Commission ("FEC") concluded an audit of Rep. Renzi's campaign committee, Rick Renzi for Congress ("RRFC"), and found that the committee had illegally financed much of the Congressman's 2002 election campaign. The FEC found that, based on the documentation submitted by RRFC, $369,090 of the loans were made using impermissible corporate funds.
6. Rep. Waters' daughter, Karen Waters, has benefitted primarily through charging for spots on her mothers' "slate mailers" to South Los Angeles residents featuring the photo of Rep. Waters and the names of candidates she supports. Of the $1.7 million collected over the last eight years, mainly from candidates who have paid to have their names appear on slate mailers, approximately $450,000 has gone to Karen Waters and her consulting firm, Progressive Connections, and $115,000 to Rep. Waters' son, Edward.

Karen Waters also has collected $20,000 from a small, nonprofit organization called African American Committee 2000 & Beyond that she established with her mother. Many corporations and organizations seeking to win Rep. Waters' favor have donated to African American Committee 2000 & Beyond. The nonprofit in turn has used this money to pay for parties hosted by Rep. Waters at the Democratic national conventions.

WHY DO I FEEL THAT NOT ALL THAT ARE SEEKING TO DESTROY THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ARE OF MID-EASTERN ORIGIN?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Why not run for office and correct all that you find wrong and corrupt in our Government? You seem to have all the answers, why waste your talent here on this board? You seem articulate and intellegent enough to handle the job. It seems like such a waste of talent when you could be doing so much more then wasting your time here on this board. I personally thank you for making me much more informed then I ever would have been had I not frequented this board. I mean to have the benifit of you advising me in every other thread and post on this board just how bad our Goverment and President is and turning this board into the next best invention for sleeping pills is such........well I just don't have the words to describe it.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I may not agree with all your posts, etouffe, but thanks for them anyway. If I thought they were a waste of time, I wouldn't waste time reading them, then waste time posting a response whining about how much time I was wasting on them.[smile]

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently it is beyond the intellectual capacity of some not to open a political thread or one which has my name on it. BTW some threads have hundreds of hits so someone is reading them. I do notice a "clan" of "if you can't attack the message then attack the messenger". Attacking the messenger requires a great deal less thought.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is so much better then fishing. It's fun to see what response you get when you attack a post for no apparent reason.

Thanks for helping me prove a point to myself.

CaptG, I'm surprised at you, I would have thought after all these years on this board you would have seen that one coming. Most people can see my bait when I dangle it. Maybe I'm getting better at this stuff. See what happens when you when you get distracted by paying too much attention to the BS.

A thanks goes out to you to etouffe123 for confirming your board eliteness, snobbery and ultra intellegence. What's the view like from up there when you look down on people?

·
Registered
485 Posts
[Q]etouffe123 originally wrote:
Apparently it is beyond the intellectual capacity of some not to open a political thread or one which has my name on it. BTW some threads have hundreds of hits so someone is reading them. I do notice a "clan" of "if you can't attack the message then attack the messenger". Attacking the messenger requires a great deal less thought.
[/Q]Maybe the point is there could a thread going about the love life and life cycle of the common ant and you will some how turn it into a political debat from which you can pontificate to the rest of us and impress us with your self indulged intelegence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check out the "K Street Project"
Blunt and others are tied in to the Lobbyists as much if not more than even old Delay.

This whole thing is the difference between cleaning with a wet rag, and cleaning with bleach...Just imagine even after this little light wet rag cleaning how many germs, and bacteria are still left...!
[grin]

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I haven't a clue why others come her but I'm here to be entertained. I am obviously easily amused by just about anything...except whining.[smile]

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fiskamon is long on insults and short on contribution. If you are interested in what else I do...go to the chesapeake board...troll up virgil poe's post

But once you become active in something, something happens to you. You get excited and suddenly you realize you count.
Studs Terkel

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fisk is too busy telling me what is wrong with me to take the time to pay his way on here. Of course if I were pontificating against the Democrats he would be dressed in his cheerleader outfit, waving his pom pom's, and cheering loudly for me.[excited]

Fisk I'm satisfied that my friends do not feel that I am ultra intelligent nor do they feel that I look down upon them. Hard to do with the quality of my friendships.

I cannot run for Congress at my age and health status. What I can do is to not let issues be forgotten in the flood of trivia we tolerate as news.
Frankly, if I am successful at doing that it is more than enough reason for my posts. [angel]

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Jerry....and crooks from every party...as my initial post indicates...need to be exposed, as on here, and anywhere we can. Sometimes shining the light on their dark little deeds helps....I recall that the budget for the AK bridge to nowhere is in trouble.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I have mixed-feelings on guys like Byrd. The citizens of WV re-elect him based on what he does for them. He must be doing a good job.[smile]
Our Sen. Warner, here in VA, has always been a strong supporter of the Defense Budget, and that's just the way we like him.
"Pork" is a fact of life and has been around since Day One.
At it's roots, it's probably much more honest than high-powered lobbyists buying off politicians (from both parties) to advance private agendas that have little to do with the desires of voters.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CaptGeorge: I agree. Pork is actually one of the primary reasons one person is elected over another and is the mainstay of incumbancy. I recall a political friend of mine reminding me that PA jobs are MD pork.

On the other hand when special interests donate cash to the election of a person, pay for golf trips et al, ad infinitum there is absolutely no guarantee that anything beneficial will occur to that persons constituency. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the action taken by the bought vote of the Congressperson would not be harmful to the constituency and America as a whole.

·
Registered
485 Posts
[Q]captaingeorge originally wrote:
Hey Fisk! Along with your creativity and your sense of humor, your SUBSCRIPTION has EXPIRED![smile]
[/Q]Don't ever wonder why I let it. I had one for years remember.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Fiskamon originally wrote:
Hey Fisk! Along with your creativity and your sense of humor, your SUBSCRIPTION has EXPIRED![smile]
[/Q]The sense of humor, or the Subscription?[smile]

·
Registered
485 Posts
[Q]Fiskamon originally wrote:
[/Q]The sense of humor, or the Subscription?[smile]
[/Q]Both

·
Registered
50 Posts
WASHINGTON - Rep. Bob Ney (news, bio, voting record), an Ohio Republican implicated in a lobbying corruption investigation, said Sunday he will step aside temporarily as chairman of the House Administration Committee.

I guess that stuff does run down hill...
[grin]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts