Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had two young men knock on my door looking for a place to hunt. After a short talk it seems they had both purchased crossbows yesterday and are looking for a spot to hunt opening day of bowseason. I suggested that they try their own backyard instead of mine.

Here we go.

DEAN

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Come on Dean! You don't like it when they sneak on, You don't like it when they ask..........................Come on man, it is just some dirt and plants. Let them run all around in it. Call it a man drive!!![grin]

What did the police say about your stuff? Did the place have any video of the lot?

Dayton

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]ketch69 originally wrote:
I just had two young men knock on my door looking for a place to hunt. After a short talk it seems they had both purchased crossbows yesterday and are looking for a spot to hunt opening day of bowseason. I suggested that they try their own backyard instead of mine.

Here we go.

DEAN
[/Q]

Just out of curiosity, what if they had not been crossbow users, would you have granted them permission to hunt?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The difference is that someone who is a real bowhunter wouldn't have came knocking just to ask if they could hunt. These kids had just purchased the crossbows and were knocking on every door in the neighborhood. Big difference in my book.

I work hard taking care of the property I hunt. I really look forward to bow season just don't like the thought of unskilled hunters in the woods.

A good friend of mine was hunting some public land Saturday afternoon when he heard something aproaching his stand from behind. It was a fella carrying a crossbow sneaking thru the woods with a blaze orange hat on. He whislted at the guy to stop him for a question or two. He said that this was his first time bowhunting.

DEAN

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]ketch69 originally wrote:
The difference is that someone who is a real bowhunter wouldn't have came knocking just to ask if they could hunt. These kids had just purchased the crossbows and were knocking on every door in the neighborhood. Big difference in my book.

I work hard taking care of the property I hunt. I really look forward to bow season just don't like the thought of unskilled hunters in the woods.

A good friend of mine was hunting some public land Saturday afternoon when he heard something aproaching his stand from behind. It was a fella carrying a crossbow sneaking thru the woods with a blaze orange hat on. He whislted at the guy to stop him for a question or two. He said that this was his first time bowhunting.

DEAN
[/Q]

Dean, I apologize for messing with you, I've been hanging around Ran...., well you know, too long[grin][grin]

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dean,

SO I guess you were never a first time bowhunter right? You went in the woods for the first time with a pile of knowledge?

What is the problem with crossbows? They make things better for a lot of people that otherwise would struggle with a regular bow.

My Dad is 70 years old this year. I'm sure he has forgotten more about hunting than most people will ever know, and he has switched to a crossbow, and a very laid back approach to hunting. Does that make him a bad bowhunter in your book? I think it just makes him someone that is slowing down. But I guess that'll never happen to you either, right?

Dude...lifes too short. You shouldn't take your hobbies so seriously. They are hobbies to relieve stress, not create it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[Q]...lifes too short. You shouldn't take your hobbies so seriously. They are hobbies to relieve stress, not create it.
[/Q]
Well said. I think we all lose sight of this objective from time to time....

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
[Q]Butthead originally wrote:
Dean,

SO I guess you were never a first time bowhunter right? You went in the woods for the first time with a pile of knowledge?

What is the problem with crossbows? They make things better for a lot of people that otherwise would struggle with a regular bow.

My Dad is 70 years old this year. I'm sure he has forgotten more about hunting than most people will ever know, and he has switched to a crossbow, and a very laid back approach to hunting. Does that make him a bad bowhunter in your book? I think it just makes him someone that is slowing down. But I guess that'll never happen to you either, right?

Dude...lifes too short. You shouldn't take your hobbies so seriously. They are hobbies to relieve stress, not create it.
[/Q]

Well put man! How's the boat doing this fall? Get out duckin' yet?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Buck,

The boating has been great this year. I've caught some really nice fish. Of Course just as the best fishing of the year is getting started, I am getting crazy busy at work....doesn't that figure.[sad]

No ducks for me yet. too warm for hunting yet, I like it when it gets a little colder. How 'bout you?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My gripe is that the crossbows are gonna put a lot mor hunters in the wood with little or no bow hunting knowledge.

BUTTHEAD.....I did start out with plenty of hunting knowledge. I have been hunting whitetails since I was old enough to go with my dad abd grandfather and also have probably forgot more than a lot know. I didn't start bow hunting until about 10 years ago and have prolly killed almost as many deer with my bow in the last 5 years any most have with a gun.

I don't think most of you see my problem, its not the crossbows. I don't have any problem with someone of age or a handicap person that cannot shoot a compound using one. How many that have purchased crossbows this year in Va. do you actually think were serious bow hunters to begin with? I bet not many.

I'm done with this. Most of you that are picking are from Maryland anyway so why bother with what is going on in the South.

DEAN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts