Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that do not know, the VDGIF is proposing an amendment which would legalize the use of crossbows for hunting during any season where bows are legal.

This means that many of the gun hunters and muzzleloaders who do not bow hunt will likely purchase crossbows and stink up the woods during october. The deer will be educated faster, more cripples, more hunting accidents, more road hunting etc. The handicapped will no longer have an advantage either.

See the VDGIF website for details. Public hearings will be held and comments taken.

Of course a crossbow license must be purchased. $$$$$$$$ talks!

Speak your voice.

-Kepone

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ohio has allowed crossbow hunting for almost 20 years. If you are against it you will get used to it. It is just the way thing are. It offers more people a better opertunity to hunt. And for the record I use a vertical limb bow!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The people who need a crossbow can already get a permit to use one. I don't see a need for making it legal for everyone. Although I am seeing a pattern. BPS moved to MD and MD started a crossbow season. BPS moves to VA and now we might get a season. You know how many crossbows were sold at BPS in MD when there was just the rumor there was going to be a season? They couldn't keep them stocked!

And don't forget that crossbow make the almost perfect poaching weapon. You can shoot them out your truck windo and they don't make any sound.....something to think about.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What the hell difference does it make to a person who is poaching? Do you think he cares if it is a legal weapon during the day, or this week or month. That doesn't hold water.

And, who cares if someone wants to hunt with a crossbow? I don't. Let people do what they want. Do your thing, let them do theres. At least they have to get close to a deer. Now dogs....that is an unfair advantage. Get rid of that.

You guys worry too much. Get back to the fishing boards and whine about gas prices.

Dayton

·
Registered
141 Posts
I read about that on VDGIF's website last week and immediately e-mailed them and stated my disapproval. If you need to use archery equipment that has been converted into a rifle then you don't need to be in the woods. Crossbows are a cop out and they are for wusses. With the exception of the physically handicapped, I have no problem with a handicapped person otherwise unable to use a bow and arrow using a crossbow to partake in the archery season.

And for the record, I agree with Ranger......I hate dog hunting for deer. Outlaw dogs during deer season.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Exactly. I've shot several of the higher end crossbows over the last 3-4 years. Not impressed.
The bad thing is that you'll have new "hunters" out there during bow season thinking they can shoot anything at any distance. True, crossbows will kill some deer, but the biggest impact they'll have is all the unexperienced people in the woods early spreading their scent and you'll have a lot more crippled and gut shot deer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love killing deer, I have 4 compounds and 2 crossbows, killed deer with all but the new MATTHEWS LX, I believe it's the closeness that keeps me bow hunting.

Use whatever, just be the best at whatever ranges you shoot.

Bill[excited]

·
Registered
317 Posts
Agree 100% dead is dead but, @ +- 350 fps w/ the noise that one of those xbows makes the deer would be in the next county before an arrow got to him @ more than 50 yrds. unless it was just luck & or the right conditions.

Just my guess, I haven't shot one so maybe some of you guys shooting them can give a better idea.

Russ

·
Registered
117 Posts
I CANT WAIT!!I WILL HUNT ANYWAY THEY LET ME!!THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY DEER ANYWAY!YOU CANT KILL ENOUGH AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED!!!NEXT YEAR I WILL BE ABLE TO KILL 2 DOE A DAY THE WHOLE YEAR AND IM GOING TO TRY,THATS FOR DAMN SURE!!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well slick let me tell you 100 is no problem and I have never had a deer run more than 50 yards or so after hitting one art that range. I have a video from Bass Pro that shows these 2 shoot an elk at 150 and had no problems. Put all those myths aside. Hell I have killed deer with my bow at 65 yards and it is slow as hell. Once again I am not on the ethics commitee I kill deer. Plus who cares if you can wound it you can kill it you just have to track him alittle.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.