Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Red dot or 4X32 scope???

Well I've decided to come over to the darkside and go with a crossbow. :lol:
I think that I've decided on a Barnett quad 400 with its 345fps and 122 ft lbs of energy. Looks like it will do the job and then some.

NOW I just need to decide on the scope or the red dot. I have heard a lot of people say that they don't like the red dots, and I grew up shooting rifles with scopes so that is the way that I'm leading. So what do you think?

Thanks, Mitch

·
Registered
780 Posts
I never used a red dot scope until I got my crossbow a few years ago and put a 1x50 red dot scope on it and a really like it.It is so big in diameter that I keep both eyes open and looking at a target the red dot is there with no problem.I don't think you need a 4x because you are shooting at close range anyway.I personally limit myself to about 30 yds.

Jeff

·
Registered
875 Posts
Only problem with the red dot is it requires a battery, which means according to Murphy's Law, it will be dead just when you need it!
I like the crossbow scopes with the multiple horizontal reticle lines. You can zero for 20yds. and each additional line on the way down is pretty much zeroed for an additional 10 yds. Mine has 5 lines, giving me 20, 30, 40 ,50 and 60yd marks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Mikie,you are right about the battery,that's why I keep a spare one black taped to my stock.I have picked up bow before and I had forgot to turn off red dot and yep,no battery,no red dot.That ain't good to find out when you are hunting.
Always keep that spare taped to bow.It has saved me before.[grin]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the 4x scope on my crossbow. It is sweet and has the different crosshairs for the different yardages. It shoots flat to about 25 yards and after that it is nice to be confident on the yardage and use the next crosshair down. I havent ever used a red dot scope though so I cant really say anything one way or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.