Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My opinion about the crossbow in VA varies. I think that only the disabled should still be allowed to use them. Just from what I have seen at the sport shops, there have been a lot of people buying these things to hunt who don't ordinarily hunt. And know nothing about hunting. I believe that these [email protected]#holes are going to get in the woods and shoot at everything they can. If that happens, that could mess us guys who have been hunting hard for these big bucks for year end and year out out of a big buck. Thats just my opinion, I would like to hear others![sad]

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't care what others are doing. Most newbies will hunt one half day, get tired of mosquitos and deer snorting and wait until blackpowder season.

I don't have enough time to worry about my stuff, much less worry about everyone else.

Dayton

·
Registered
342 Posts
[Q]kepone cats originally wrote:
I agree but you want to know what? Your opinion and my opinion does not matter anymore, it's a done deal. Let the fat greasy cripplers have at it.
[/Q]
Dude----CHILL OUT! I personally will continue to hunt with my compound bow; however, I don't see a problem with crossbows and I don't believe ALL folks that will use a crossbow are "fat, greasy, cripplers". Come on man! And in reality what difference does it make? Are you going to have more people on your property behind this? And one more thing---it makes no difference the weapon people use, there are ALWAYS going to be those that take shots that maybe they shouldn't have, I bet we all have. Good Hunting. HV aka rapprunner [smile]

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dont like the crossbow law either, but just because you are using a crossbow dosent mean you are going to shoot anything and everything. It will but a few more people in the woods but like ranger said they will get tired of the heat, bugs, snorting bucks, ticks, chiggers and all other sorts of critters that are out. It takes a true die hard hunter to be out there in early october.

·
Registered
342 Posts
[Q]HI TIDES DRIFTER originally wrote:
The die hard bow hunters will always be die hards. Just wait and watch how many 600$ crossbows will be in the classified ads in Nov. for 250$. As for me bear compound works just fine when I can find time to use it. Bill
[/Q]

You hit the nail on the head![grin]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Years ago all we had were longbows and recurves, then came the compund, then multicam systems, then 65,75, and now 80% let-offs. I have even seen draw systems for compound bows that don't even need to be held by the hunter. It locks into place until you're ready to shoot. What the H____ is the diff????

I am shooting a 65# bow with a 65% let-off antiquated by todays let-off standards. Why are some people switching to 80% bows?????BECAUSE THEY'RE EASIER TO HOLD than a 65% or for that matter a recurve. Why do non-"handicapped" people use a crossbow BECAUSE THEY'RE EASIER TO HOLD.

In my opinion, and it's just that, if you're shooting anything but a longbow or a recurve without fibre optic or red dot sights, releases, SIMS vibration dampeners, string leaches and every other thing to better your odds you shouldn't throw stones. I shoot a compound bow and have often thought a crossbow JUST BECAUSE I CAN, not because I need to. Do something different. For the same reason I'd like to use a handgun for deer but my counties don't permit it. I kill more deer with my 10 year old bow every year than I do with my ML or shotgun.

Is the same hatred felt for those who use a ML pistol with multiple shots over a single shot ML rifle??????

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have a unique perspective on this as I am now considered disabled and qualified for a crossbow permit last year after a rotator cuff and bicep injury that prevents me from lifting a gallon of milk high enough to pour it at counter height. I have been bowhunting since I was 14 I am now 41, I've killed most of my deer with a bow, the ones that aren't bow are muzzleloader with my 9 year old who cant pull a heavy enough bow to kill yet. This said I bought a high end crossbow and practiced with it until I was deadly beyond 55 up to 60 yards. While the crossbow was very heavy I had trouble holding it up without a rest. I shot a nice 8 point buck opening morning.

It was the biggest letdown I have ever had while hunting, I aimed thru a scope, pulled a trigger, and sent a bolt thru the vitals after the crossbow made a giant noise.
It was not the pure bowhunting I love, no mechanics, no form, no
practice.

I returned the crossbow the next day, while still unable to pull my 80lb matthews.

After some rehab and turning my Matthews down to 53lbs, I'm able to pull it a few times as long as the weather is not too cold.
I will BOWHUNT this year even with the great pain associated with pulling my bow. Nothing else gives me the thrill or the satisfaction of my compond bow. No scope, no bulk, no machine.
Form, stealth, practice!

Now there is nothing wrong with the thousands that will take up crossbow hunting, Its just not for me!

Jeff

Miss Betty

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have a unique perspective on this as I am now considered disabled and qualified for a crossbow permit last year after a rotator cuff and bicep injury that prevents me from lifting a gallon of milk high enough to pour it at counter height. I have been bowhunting since I was 14 I am now 41, I've killed most of my deer with a bow, the ones that aren't bow are muzzleloader with my 9 year old who cant pull a heavy enough bow to kill yet. This said I bought a high end crossbow and practiced with it until I was deadly beyond 55 up to 60 yards. While the crossbow was very heavy I had trouble holding it up without a rest. I shot a nice 8 point buck opening morning.

It was the biggest letdown I have ever had while hunting, I aimed thru a scope, pulled a trigger, and sent a bolt thru the vitals after the crossbow made a giant noise.
It was not the pure bowhunting I love, no mechanics, no form, no
practice.

I returned the crossbow the next day, while still unable to pull my 80lb matthews.

After some rehab and turning my Matthews down to 53lbs, I'm able to pull it a few times as long as the weather is not too cold.
I will BOWHUNT this year even with the great pain associated with pulling my bow. Nothing else gives me the thrill or the satisfaction of my compond bow. No scope, no bulk, no machine.
Form, stealth, practice!

Now there is nothing wrong with the thousands that will take up crossbow hunting, Its just not for me!

Jeff

Miss Betty

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't have anything against the crossbow. I just see it as there will now be many other hunters in the woods in the early season. Many of them will not be very stealthy and the bucks will learn from the mistakes they make.

I too have a disability that allowed me to buy a crossbow several years ago. After shooting one of the noisy things a couple times I also turned my compund down and never looked back.

This was pushed my money and nothing else.

We had a Mud Bog this past weekend at Virginia Motorsports Park that was sponsored by Dances Sporting Goods. They had fliers at the race that mentioned nothing other than crossbows. What really go me was they only had a couple employee's sitting in the back of a pickup handing out fliers and giving away a few BS freebies. If I were them I'd have at least had some stuff for people to look at. I guess they just had sponsorship money to give away.

DEAN

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dean you should have been at the hunting show, Dance's had all of there wares at the show and let people see and shoot all brands they carry. I think they sold about 50 at the show. They are selling about 5 a day in the store, they didn't even carry bows or equip, until they anounced they would be lawful in Va. If anyone is interested in getting a cross bow they do a good job with coustermer service, you pick the bow you like and someone will take you out back in one of the trailers and shoot it. I sugest trying as many as they have to see which one fits your style. Stop by and see the best selection of broad heads this side of green top any way. Bill

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Whackmaster/ketch69,good points and one that I typed and then removed from my original post. While you qualify for crossbows you choose to go the extra distance to allow yourselves to still shoot a more "conventional" bow. I messed up my rotator cuff last year pulling crab traps in late august and was going to therapy and doing shoulder exercises at home to rehab it so that I could hunt come Sept 15. The easy way out would have been to buy a crossbow and get a temp. permit. There are quite a few "handicapped" hunters out there that could still shoot a compund if they chose, but don't. I don't fault them for it at all. It's their legal right to do so.

The one mixed blessing about crossbows is that some of the less disciplined hunters that happen to get lucky and get a shot at a wall hanger may not cripple as many with a crossbow, then again they may kill them too. I think the biggest reason they are allowing crossbows is for management purposes, to allow more does to be killed and we all know what that does to the buck doe ratios. I live/hunt central MD where I can legally kill as many does as I want with archery equip. and am allowed 10 with my ML and shotgun.

I personally don't hunt antlers although given a choice between a nice buck and a doe, it's a no brainer. I shoot all does until my freezer is full (3-5 deer depending on size), and then may get selective in the end. I usually end up blowing enough opportunites early in the season that still has me in pursuit of meat in the end.

The 2 people that I know of that hunt with a crossbow very openly complain about the bulk and the weight. They're not as easy to shoot as a rifle as people think.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If they want more does to go down just add more doe days to the general firearms season. I could probably kill a doe almost every day during the season.

What really gets me is that Sussex County gets 24 doe days and Prince George gets 2 and they border????????

I wonder if I can get damage DCAP tags for them eating up my food plots? I am growing them for the seed they will produce if they mature[grin]

DEAN

·
Registered
342 Posts
[Q]ketch69 originally wrote:
If they want more does to go down just add more doe days to the general firearms season. I could probably kill a doe almost every day during the season.

What really gets me is that Sussex County gets 24 doe days and Prince George gets 2 and they border????????

I wonder if I can get damage DCAP tags for them eating up my food plots? I am growing them for the seed they will produce if they mature[grin]

DEAN
[/Q]
Check out the VDGIF web page----changes regarding the taking of does during general firearms season are being proposed for next year. If I read it right, Surry, Sussex, South Hampton will have full doe season as in years past. Think P.G. might get bumped up to 6 days, but again I can't remember all of the details.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/display.asp

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I guess I am a spoiled brat up here in MD. Our doe season never really goes out except in the two western counties, Garrett and Allegheny.

In the other 21 counties, it's basically open season from 9/15-1/31. If it's brown, it's down. 10 does allowed with bow, 10 with shotgun/rifle, 10 with muzzleloader, no extra tags required. 2 Bucks with each, second allowed after 2 does, and a $10 antelerED bonus tag . Central MD has an unlimited kill on does with archery equipment. COUNT 'EM, that 36 deer allowed, not counting the unlimited doe with bow kill. This does not include the SEPARATE bag limits for the 2 western counties, which without checking to be sure, add 6 more for a total of 42. AND WE STILL CAN'T GET THE NUMBERS WHERE THEY WANT THEM. That's Md's reason for the crossbows.

MD has even gone to not having to check deer in, you can do it over the phone/internet. They issue a confirmation # to place on your Harvest record. Problem here is you can call in two bogus doe kills and then go shoot your second buck. NOT THEIR BRIGHTEST IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah VA probably needs to add more doe days first, then the crossbows.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Six whole days and they get the full season. Guess I need to start shooting does in Sussex[grin]

I know first hand that the more does you cull as long as you don't go too far the better bucks you will have. We killed over 50 does on 2000 acres for 5 years in a row years back and it really changed to quality of our heard.

Not to mention they eat much better.

DEAN

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.