Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Board,

I own a small outdoors magazine, and am working on an article for our upcoming issue. The focus of the article will be the debate over crossbows, and should they be legalized for all hunters or just for handicapped ones.

I am interested in getting everyones opinion on this, and what you personally view as the pro's and con's of using a crossbow for hunting deer. I personally use one, and think that everyone should be able to use one if they so choose. What is the difference between a crossbow vs compund vs long bow....or a brand new muzzleloader with a 209 ignition, powder pellets, and a scope vs a flintlock, with black powder, a pumpkin ball, and open sights? However....my views are only my views. I want the views of alot of different hunters, so as not to make the article one sided.

Keep in mind, that your views should be tasteful or they cannot be printed. Please include your name and where you live or hunt, so that you can be quoted accurately in the article.

The magazine is called the Delmarva Outdoor Journal, and it is free at most tackle stores along the Chesapeake Watershed. If you cannot find it in your area, drop me a bmail, and I will be happy to get you some copies.

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am of the opinion that cross bows are, in reality, not a whole lot more of an advantage than recurve, long or compound bows. I belive people have the misconception that this weapon is "easier" to use than conventional bows, I disagree as this is still a close range weapon and even though folks are taking longer shots, unfortuante as that is, discretion must be used in an effort to ensure good, clean, ethical shots. The cross bow hunter still has the same things to contend with as do other bow hunters; the wind, the location, judging distance, etc. The only advantage may be that the cross bow does not require quite as much movement for the shot as it does not have to be drawn. I will continue to hunt with my compound as long as I can draw it; however, if my options are to quit or use the cross bow I will opt for the cross bow. Everyone out there regardless of weapon, owes it to the game animal they pursue to do their very best to not take shots that are unrealsitic or beyond thier capable limits. The debate will will continue indefinatley, but my two cents is that cross bows are not giving anyone an added "edge", so why not just sit back and let it go---it is what is. I really do not care what weapon is used as long as one uses it safely, ethically, and within the boundaries set forth by the VDGIF.

My opinion only----please feel free to print any of this. I will b-mail my name, etc.

Rapprunner

·
Registered
621 Posts
In Maryland, it is coming down to the point that we just need to shoot alot of deer. They probably should let us use rifles and shotguns all season long.....but they probably figure the anti's would not go for this.......so the DNR has the task of coming up with more subdued weapons that can get the job of killing deer done without all of the weapons primitive beginnings.

started as flintlock/percussion.........ended as scoped 209 primed sabots

started as long bow.................ended as scoped crossbow

started as a week long season..........ended as two weeks with Sunday hunting.

The skill involved and the sport are now up to the hunter.......

Mark

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rod, if you haven't done so already go to www.bowsite.com From there go to the Maryland State Forum, plenty of threads discussing this topic.

And to all of you that "bowhunt", join the Maryland Bowhunters Society (there is a link to it on the bowsite Md forum page), MBS is the ONLY state organization fighting for our right to bowhunt.

Pete

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got into the crossbow last season with the doctors note after not being able to pull my compound back.
I agree also with rapprunner except using them the last two weeks.
I don't understand why you need to buy a bow and a crossbow lic. when you can only use one at a time unless it's trying to keep up with crossbow hunters vs. bow hunters and that it may be more money with more lic.
I hunt in Surry county Va.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
[Q]rapprunner originally wrote:
I am of the opinion that cross bows are, in reality, not a whole lot more of an advantage than recurve, long or compound bows. I belive people have the misconception that this weapon is "easier" to use than conventional bows, I disagree as this is still a close range weapon and even though folks are taking longer shots, unfortuante as that is, discretion must be used in an effort to ensure good, clean, ethical shots. The cross bow hunter still has the same things to contend with as do other bow hunters; the wind, the location, judging distance, etc. The only advantage may be that the cross bow does not require quite as much movement for the shot as it does not have to be drawn. I will continue to hunt with my compound as long as I can draw it; however, if my options are to quit or use the cross bow I will opt for the cross bow. Everyone out there regardless of weapon, owes it to the game animal they pursue to do their very best to not take shots that are unrealsitic or beyond thier capable limits. The debate will will continue indefinatley, but my two cents is that cross bows are not giving anyone an added "edge", so why not just sit back and let it go---it is what is. I really do not care what weapon is used as long as one uses it safely, ethically, and within the boundaries set forth by the VDGIF.

My opinion only----please feel free to print any of this. I will b-mail my name, etc.

Rapprunner
[/Q]

Right on, man.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Crossbows-vs- compound, or recurve and longbow?
I personally feel it's the choice of the archer. Each if capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards is legal in Virginia. The debate in Virginia has been heated, but it will slowly fade away. Technology has been a part of hunting for as long as people have been hunting, and equipment inovation has helped archers become better hunters. The main thing I think people are forgetting is you still have to hunt hard to be sucessful.
Some say the crossbow is so easy, why not hunt with a rifle? Just because you don't have to draw it doesn't mean you can't be seen shouldering it. One big disadvantage is the noise that it makes. You won't get many second chances like you can sometimes with a compound bow. Being about the same speed as some compound bows, it's not going to kill any better. It seems to me it's just a matter of choice.

Straight Shooting,

Bill

·
Registered
887 Posts
Check out the October issue of Chesapeake Angler Magazine. You can plagerize what they used in their article on Crossbows. I think Woods and Waters did one back in the summer. It is a done deal and there is no going back so why dig up bones and reopen wounds? -Kepone

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KC...

I neither plagerize nor dig up bones from anyone. I am doing an article based on what my readers want. I have had several e-mails to my hunting editor asking questions, So I decided it was time to write about it with the upcoming rut.

Those are both excellent magazines, and I have enjoyed reading them on several occasions. However, I'm certain they feel no threat of a small potatoes operation such as mine stealing their ideas. I think crossbows and the debate over them has been on every outdoor magazine editors, mind this season. Thanks for taking the time to respond, and good luck with your bowhunting this year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I seem to remember a similar controversy when they made a special season for muzzleloaders. I heard the same complaints then. Just for the record, I hunt with a compound.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Maybe this is why some would rather crossbows go away. Or at least make it run concurrent with Black Powder. It all started many years ago when it was called "Primative Weapons Season." It seems as if that has long since vanished and become more of an extended or early season. Simply put, for those who still hold onto the old thinking of Primative weapons both crossbows and inline muzzleloaders exceed the intent. It would appear the VDGIF has shifted gears to more of a numbers game, they want herd numbers down period.

You have to admit, hitting your mark with a crossbow is easier than with tradional or compound bow, and an inline scoped muzzle loader isn't very primative and here too easy to kill with? It take less practice, more folks can do it and will. No one wants more hunters in the woods when they are trying to bag their trophy, thats just human nature. Or when you have been watching a particular animal, working hard to get within that close traditional bow range, and some hunter who bought a crossbow two days earlier dumps him from 50-75 yards which some on this board have disussed, it just doesn't settle well.

For injured or handicapped hunters, no big deal. There aren't that many of those folks and if they are truly handicapped they are already having a tuff time trying to hunt.

Reportedly BP sold nearly 800 crossbow in three months after the legalization in July. You can't help but wonder who the lobbiest were to get this one passed and what the motive was??$$?

It would not have caused near the controversy if they made the crossbow season run during the same period as muzzleloader. But wait! they would not have sold as many crossbows, and most "would be" crossbow hunters would simply use the gun.

If they simply wanted to increase the number of deer taken why not allow hunting on Sunday? That would give most hunters twice the days to hunt?

So for those of us who truly look at the hunt as the most important part of the adventure not the kill, the legalizing of crossbows and for that matter inline, scoped muzzleloaders is difficult to swallow. There is no more "Primative Weapon Season" All they have really done is lenghten the gun season , call it what it is!!!!

Oh! what do I hunt with? yes a compound, but typically do so long into gun season. Muzzle Loader? sure I have one a traditional side lock, iron sights ( which I can hardly see anymore). But I rarely carry the muzzleloader except during late gun season.

If you would like to print any of this feel free. Just Bmail and I will provide the info.
JIM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts